Should Medicaid Recipients pay co-payments for Doctor's visits and Prescriptions?

If you have a private insurance you know that every time you visit a Doctor you would have to pay a co-payment ($5-$50). Obtaining your prescription would include paying a deductible and a copayment as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I used to work in a doctors office and Medicaid does have a co-pay....here in florida its around $2 but we always had pople begging off on the money.....most didnt pay and were in weekly for there pain pills and such.....
    hate to say this but I wondered why they even needed the medicaid, they usually drove nice cars to the office......yes I know that sounds bad but if you can afford a Lexus,mercedes, or cadillac you can afford your co-pay......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No. they need medicaid for a reason.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have medicaid and i DO pay a copayment for my perscriptions! and if i see a brand new doc, like switch practices i have to pay for that initial fee too. Aparently i make too much to have everything FREE lol...it doesnt bother me, it doesnt break the bank! But some medicaid reciepients DO pay!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In my state if your income is over a certain amount you will have to pay a co-pay on medicaid. If your income is under a certain amount then you don't pay a co-pay. Basically depends on wether your income is too low to afford a co-pay.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 2:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• No. If they have medicaid, they prolly can't afford it. Make them pay and all you are gonna get is kids that don't see the doctor cause their parents can't afford to take them. I mean, they already have to pay for the gas to get there, for some families that is hard in itself.
    Anonymous

• President Bush signed the Deficit Reduction Act (DRA), which gave states greater leeway to impose cost–sharing, such as prescription co–pays, on Medicaid beneficiaries.Medicaid rules allowed nominal co-pays (i.e., $3 per service). Post-DRA, nominal co-pays are still allowed for Medicaid beneficiaries whose income is below the Federal Poverty Line (FPL), but these co-pays may now be indexed to medical inflation, which has been running at 4-5% annually. For beneficiaries whose income exceeds the FPL, the DRA allows the following co-pays:

* 100-150% of Poverty: Cost-sharing up to 10% of item or service
    * Above 150% of Poverty: Cost-sharing up to 20% of item or service
    http://www.thenationalcouncil.org/cs/public_policy/focus_enewsletter_200704
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I absolutely think they should pay a co-pay based on their income. Those very poor pay a couple of dollars, those with more income, but still not able to afford private insurance pay a higher co-pay. Doing something like this will allow more people to benefit from medicaid.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I did. Every state is different. Some states also have a program like medicaid but for people not as bad off - you have to pay a small monthly fee and you pay copays. But when I was on medicaid I did pay a copay, and I did have to pay for some of my kids' medications.
    Anonymous

• I pay co-pays on ALL of my presciptions. Perhaps if had done a little research you would know that Medicaid is not always FREE.

Did you also know that some Medicaid recipients PAY a certain amount of money to even get Medicaid coverage? OOOH shocking!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• There should be no such thing as medicaid anyway.

Cant afford your kids .. don't have em.

OHHH shocking to think that way huh?
    Anonymous