Did you send your child to preschool? Do you think it was beneficial?

I sent both my kids and I think it was very beneficial.

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 2:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yep my oldest is in a private 3k and starts 4k in august..on the lottery.. but my kids can already to read. i didnt read till i was 10 .i had a 1st grade reading level till i was in 5th grade,,, sad..so i made the decision to send my kids to school early.. its kinda sad my 2 yr old knows more that her 5 yr old cousin who is already in kindergarten..
    Anonymous

• No I didn't send my daughter to preschool but she is able to read, spell her name, write her name, spell 3 letter words and write those words. She can also do addition and subtraction. What else could she have learned at preschool?
    Anonymous

• Yes, and definitely! My 3rd child is currently going. My older 2 are ahead, accademically & socially, of their peers who did NOT attend preschool. I feel it was very worth it. I also went 2 years, when I was 3 and 4, and I was in a lot of advanced studies in grade school.
    Anonymous

• I sent my youngest son to preschool and no it wasn't beneficial. He already knew how to read, write, etc. before he went so basically he was bored by the stuff he "learned." There was a bully in his class who hit him and the other kids and the teacher didn't do anything about it. In addition, the teacher was the most disorganized, scatterbrained person I've ever met in my life.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have been a full time sahm from the get go. We did preschool... actual preschool not a day care. The school was only open from 9-12... the kids went either 3 days a week or 2 days a week. I think it was great for getting them to sit in a group, dealing with other kids (though we had that at playgroups), following someone else direction, getting in to someone elses schdule, all the "school" type stuff. And heck... it was FUN.
    Anonymous

• My daughter went to preschool and she loved it... not so much about learning to read and that sort ( I taught her at home) but more about how to socialize with others and learn to share, take turns, etc... It was great and she loved it especially since she is an only child she got that extra interaction with kids her age.
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 3:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Yes I sent mine to pre-school and was very pleased that I did. I am a SAHM and thought it would be cruel to have him go from all day every day at home with me, to a full day kindergarten and suddenly have to deal with other kids and other rules, etc in a classroom with 20 kids. He went to an all day pre-school when he was 4. The class size was small (10 kids maximum). He was able to adjust wonderfully to being away from home, dealing with other children, etc. It was fantastic and he LOVED it. Also, they worked with him on an individual basis some to help keep him challenged when they were learning stuff that he already knew. I'm absolutely planning on doing the same thing with baby #2.
    K.D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My 5 year old did not go and she has adjusted well to school. She right where she should be academically and even a bit more advanced than some of the kids in her class. She's very sociable and gets along with everyone. She made friends quickly and I speak to her teacher often (her K teacher is the same teacher I had in 1st grade) and she told me my daughter was the first one to befriend the new boy in class. I went to pre-school only because my pediatrician insisted to my parents that I go, because I had constant ear infections as an infant and toddler and was almost completely deaf the first 3 years of my life so I was behind socially and preschool helped developed my social skills and speaking. My 4 year old will be going to preschool though because she is much more of a spaz and I believe she needs more time to adjust to a school setting....
    Anonymous

• ....also my sister sent her eldest daughter so she could do fun group activities instead of being home bored all the time. She also sent her other daughter but took her out when she kept getting one cold after another - she was pissed that parents kept sending their kids to school with colds so they just kept going around and around, besides Emily seemed bored by it and my sister was also pregnant with her son at the time and it was a bit of a hassle to drive all the way to the school when Emily was only there for two and a half hours a day, three days a week.
    Anonymous

• I did, he was an only child and it totally helped him socially. I would recommend it to anyone!
    LancesMom

Answer by LancesMom at 8:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2010