Why are my legs so itchy?

I am 34 weeks pregnant and already on bed rest for pre-term labor. I could not sleep last night felt sick to my stomach and my legs are so itchy that I have been scratching them so bad...Should I be worried and call the doctor?

rodeomomtobe

Asked by rodeomomtobe at 2:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You're probably retaining more water than usual because of the bed rest....if your legs are swelling, your skin is stretching and that gets itchy...my stomach was super itchy towards the end of my pregnancy. Try a good lotion.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ok thank you
    rodeomomtobe

Answer by rodeomomtobe at 3:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• the PP is probably right but severe itching could also be a liver problem that occurs during pregnancy, I don't remember what it is called. I would strongly urge you to check with your doctor if it continues for any longer.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 4:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, maybe you could google it and see if the symptoms match what you are experiencing. I will warn you though, it might freak you out and I don't mean to do that but I thing you should know.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 4:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• omg i did the same thing, they say you can take benadryl, never worked for me just put me to sleep, i tried oatmeal baths, it only worked when i was in the bath, as soon as i got out it itched again, oh man and my stomach, i would be scratching it so bad that i would make myself bleed, i tried lotion and cocoa butter, body butter, you name it lol, nothing worked, try putting like a cool rag it will go away trust me, its just from stretching cut your nails so you cant scratch them
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• yea i called my doctor and he said to just take benadryl to stop the itching...its now on my hands too...driving me crazy thou....i took pictures of it so i can show him how bad it got at times....i go and see him tomorrow thou...thanks for all the answers thou
    rodeomomtobe

Answer by rodeomomtobe at 2:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010