• In the Spotlight:

Don't you get annoyed...

...with people who don't teach their children to respect people around them or the property on which they live?

I live in an apt. complex and too few of these parents teach their kids to have consideration for the others living here. I don't want to formally complain or anything, but it really irritates me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• definitely agree! i live on a third floor apartment and the people below have a child that bangs on the wall and runs like crazy! seriously! who hears the person BELOW them... were definitely getting a house after this! i hate apartments
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 2:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yes it is annoying. I would make a formal complaint anyway. They don't have to know it's you making the complaint. I hate apartments too. We are renting our very first house and I can say we will never rent an apartment again. We are military so we are not ready to buy.
    Anonymous

• How can they teach them if parents don't know how or do themselves.
    Anonymous

• I never had trouble with the children when we lived in our apartment complexes. We had trouble with the adults. In the one garden apt. we rented, I had to call the cops on the guys above us 2-3 times a month as their parties went in til 2 or 3 in the morning and would WAKE up my sleeping infants, WAKE up my husband and I and the apt. managers did nothing when we'd complain.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I actually work with a guy who lets his son ( 2-1/2 ) run in their house with the hockey stick banging the walls, he can scream yell, be bossy anything you name it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yes, but like a previous poster said, it's with the adults, not the kids. We have a lady living below us who has her TV on all day & night, whether she is home or not, and it is LOUD. So loud that we have to turn our TV up so that we can hear it over hers! And she smokes, which is against the rules, and it seeps up into our apartment. I've told the landlord and he will send her a letter and she'll stop, or at least greatly reduce so we can't smell it anymore, her smoking for a couple of months. But then she starts again as soon as the grace period on the notification passes. She does this so that she won't be evicted for having two consecutive violations of the same rule - ugh! I can't wait until we can afford to move.
    Anonymous

• I hear you there, twinsplus2more! My neighbor below us would party every Thursday night until 3 or 4 am. I used to call the cops on them regularly.  It didn't stop him from doing it.  I went to the managment and that didn't stop it either.  Finally I asked a really big biker friend of mine to ask him "politely" to stop it.  It finally stopped, lol.

etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010