• In the Spotlight:

How nutritious do you think school lunches are?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 2:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't;. My high school had a salad bar but some rarely used it. I will be packing my son's lunch when he starts school.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't know. I prepared my son's breakfast and lunch for school. When a child has food allergies schools prefer for the student to stat away from the school lunch.
    Anonymous

• My sons school does VERY good lunches. Here is a neat link about school lunches.  at my sons school a peperoni pizza round, carrots and ranch and grapes with milk is 627 calories 12 grams of fat.  This is what my son I am sure is eating today.  My sons school has a lot od choices and I am sure there are some that are worse than others some days but all in all his school I feel does quite well in the nutrition department.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In the Chicago Public Schools, not at all.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My sons school meals are anywhere from 750 calories to 1300 calories. I understand kids need calories but that is excessive in my opinion. They serve pizza, hot dogs, nachos, chicken nuggets and other processed stuff daily so I pack my sons lunch.  The only thing he gets from the school is milk and a healthy snack mid morning. 

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am so surprised to hear that other school system aren't more careful what they serve! My sons choices today where pep or chz pizza round. ham or turkey wrap or PB&J on whole wheat. Side options being grapes, carrots and ranch, chilled fruit, veggie medley or side salad. they have things like Tyson chicken biscuits for breakfast and on Thanksgiving week they had 'real' turkey in gravy. I have eaten at his school several times and though it's not 'fantastic' it's always good. That's so sad that all schools aren't like that. I truly thought they were!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my son's school has bad lunches, horribly processed and full of chemicals. we pack lunch and snacks! he is allowed to buy pizza one day a week, but he knows this is not healthy food!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I guess I'm not understanding what you ladies want out of school lunch why you don't think it is nutrious. I work for the school cafeteria and I think we have awesome food and get so many compliments from kids and staff about how good our food is we are loaded with fruits and veggies yet the kids don't want to eat that good stuff they want the other stuff. Comes from parenting I say. I don't cook any different at home then I do at school with the exception of I hardly have fruit at home. So I think the schools here in my town are pretty awesome and I would eat even if I didn't work there. They get great food IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I get a menu sent home each month an at the bottom it says: Our menus meet USDA guidelines for calories, fat, saturated fat, protein, calcium, iron, and vitamins A & C. They serve 1%, Skim, & Chocolate Skim milk. They seem to do a good job with them and my 6yr old enjoys eating school lunch so I'm happy. (=
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my daughter came from a school where they had a salad bar, and veggie wraps and other healthier fare. It cost the same and was very popular. I think most lunches are filled with crap (fries in my son's middle school comes with every meal) but it's nice to see some places are trying. We don't get a menu like some of you but you can access it on the internet and it also says they meet all USDA requirements but still are full of fried foods and high carbs.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2010