daycare or no daycare?

Did you feel it was more beneficial to put your child in daycare? My daughter is now 10 months and my mother-in-law watches her during the day while my husband and I go to work. Ofcourse i love that she is with a family member but i want to know if you felt it was good for your child to be in daycare and learning social skills such as sharing etc. Of course daycare is more expensive but i dont feel i can put a cost on my child's future. This question is ONLY for moms who have their children in daycare PLEASE!

mariisasmommy

Asked by mariisasmommy at 2:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• There's positives and negatives to sending your child. Yes, there's a lot of socialization and learning, but they also bring home a lot of colds and bad behaviors they learn from the other kids. You have to do your homework about schools in your area and see what they teach, how they handle discipline, safety, and cleanliness. Smaller classrooms are a big plus, especially when they are younger.

You might want to consider sending her a couple days a week to see how it goes. It will give your MIL a break, and she can be around kids her own age.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yes, I feel that daycare/preschool was/is extremely beneficial to my kids. Hands down. If I were you, I would send her 2 or 3 days per week, or 1/2 days or whatever schedule works for you and stay with MIL the other days.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My daughter is 2 is in an in-home situation right now. she stay with a lady who has a 4 and 1 year old at home. As much as I love her getting that one on one attention I want her to get a more structured setting later before starting pre-K. If I don't put her in a standard daycare sooner(we may get assistance that would only pay for a Licensed facility) then I will absolutely by age 3 for at least 2-3 days a week. While being little, at least through potty training, there are a TON of benefits from staying with family or a home care giver once they are old enough to start preparing for school I think some child care in a classroom type setting is helpful. It is absolutely not necessary though. Many kids start school having never been to daycare.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I know you said only for ppl who kids in daycare. I sent my daughter to daycare for years and then to preschool. I would definitely suggest putting your child in preschool a year before Kindergarten starts. As for the daycare for the years before that I don't think it did much of anything (and it was more expensive). After I had my second child my mother moved close to me and she watches him. He will be 4 in April and will be going to preschool then but other than that he has mainly only been with my mother no daycares. He was completely pottytrained (overnight too) before he was 2. He knows his abc's, shapes, colors, numbers, letters, name, etc. I acutally think that it is good for him to be with my mother, he is happier then I remember my daughter being and there is no one to get bad behavior from but his older sister.
    dolphinz1923

Answer by dolphinz1923 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My 17-month-old goes to daycare and loves it. Even though it is expensive, I would never change daycares. They plan healthy meals and give me the calendar in advance. They are always doing art projects and learning songs. They have a playground for mini toddler recess. She loves the routine they provide and the other children. She learns to do and say things from watching other kids that are a bit older than her. They have little tiny parties and put on music programs. Every kid is different, but it works for us. My daughter adores going to "school" every day.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am going to try to put my daughter in day care for 2 days a week, just so she won't be rushed into preschool and feels comfortable. My personal belief is if your child isn't old enough to talk, daycare isn't the best option. But again, no facts to back it up just makes me uncomfortable!
    lhunt8

Answer by lhunt8 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If i had a choice my son wouldnt be in daycare...not until he was older...i think daycare at 3 is a good start. But my situation dictates that we had to start daycare at 7 months...I HATE DAYCARE! Just becuase you dont send your kid in sick, doesnt mean other parents practice the same, they do find all kinds of crazy behaviors, and they cant tell you young if something isnt right!! However...When your child starts school, they will be exposed to the same sorts of things (colds and behaviors)...so on the positive side...my sons daycare is on the food program, so he gets a cooked lunch every day plus a snack...he has friends and a girl friend lol, and he comes home fine, he has no problems sleeping through the night because he wears himself out at daycare! If you can find a good one its GREAT, but if i had the option my child would be with family or ME!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My youngest (son) is in daycare full-time. My oldest (daughter) was also full-time before she started school. I have never had mine with a family member, so I can't personally compare. My current, as well as former, daycare is also a preschool, so they teach a lot of things, even as toddlers. My son could sign before he could talk, and my daughter was prepared for kindergarten when she started. I agree with the PP that said you may want to try sending her to daycare a few days a week; that way you still get the benefits of daycare without having to pay the price for full-time attendance. Research your local daycares and visit several of them before choosing one. In my experience with daycare, you get what you pay for, so expect to pay more for higher quality.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My first child went to my mom for "daycare" when she was our only. When child #2 came along, they went to an un-licensed in-home daycare (lady from our church and I was desperate). After a while we switched to a licensed in-home daycare and they thrived. When I was pregnant with #3 I quit working. So #3 & #4 never went to daycare. I can definitely tell a difference in the social skills between 1/2 & 3/4 - and the older 2 just do better overall in pretty much every setting than the younger 2. I've always said that even though I've been a sahm for over 5 years, that I wish(ed) I could send the younger 2 to daycare just 1 day a week (now #3 is in preschool, and the daycare closed, so there's no option for sending #4 anymore). I'm glad that the older 2 went and really wish the younger 2 could have gone. I don't think the older 2 would be the way they are if they'd stayed with my mom vs going to daycare. It was worth it!
    Anonymous

• There are ways to give your child social interaction without having to send them to daycare, but it's probably the easiest. I agree that I'd probably wait until he is at least to the walking stage. Then I'd think it's just money down the drain.

My son was in daycare from 1 month to 23 months due to our schedule. Now he stays at home with either one of us. I think he does well for his age as far as socialization goes, but I really don't think it'll make a difference until at least a year.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2010