Stranger danger!

How do/did you teach your kids about "stranger danger?" Did it take them a while to understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a really good video called Safe Side Super chick. It is a great way to teach young children without scaring them. It has won many awards I highly recommend it. Do not avoid the subject. It teaches you to teach your children about knowing who their safe adults are. Even teaching a child to look for a police officer is hard a uniform to a 4 yr old all look similar. One thing I taught my kids if they got lost or seperated form me was to look for a Mommy with a stroller to help them.. Anyway google that video it was well worth the 19 dollars.
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 10:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It does take them a while to get the hang of it, but just keep reinforcing the fact of "we don't talk to or go with people we don't know... they are strangers." And it confuses kids sometime because they see mommy or daddy talk to strangers all the time... lol. But we have to be vigilant.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I chose to avoid "stranger Danger". No need to make them scared of all strangers and consequently cause them to be afraid of Police also, they are strangers too you know. I taught mine that if he was with me and anyone grabbed him, he was supposed to knock over shelves, bite, gouge eyes and scream that it wasn't his momma. And to not let ANYONE including relatives touch him where underwear touches him. My son got lost at a fair when he was about 2.5. Yes, I was right beside the climbing ride he was on, and I was watching him until someone said hi, I only turned to see the face of the person and my son got to the end, didn't see me and ran. It happens. He was approched by 2 little old ladies that helped him to the police trailer there. My son told them his name, my name, what color shirt and hair I had, what i looked like, everything. The police spotted me and told me they had my son. -CONT-
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• They were glad that he knew all that he did. And VERY happy that he wasn't taught to be afraid of all strangers. He was calm enough to talk to them and not scared. He instead drank a coke with them. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my son is always with me and if hes not with me hes at daycare you spendinging the night with my parents vi try to tach my son stranger safty buts it hard he does not understand and hes friendly to everyone
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i don't think i will teach stranger danger. most abductions are by family members...so stranger danger wouldn't help there. the odds of getting struck by lightning are higher than the odds of being abducted by a stranger. i like what braden's mom did.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We don't really do stranger danger. I teach the kids that no one should touch them and they should never go with anyone they don't know but strangers, themselves, are not dangerous. Most are very helpful and friendly.
    Last time we were in a busy, crowded place (a museum) I left the kids with instructions in case they got lost: find someone in a uniform (security guard or employee) or a mom with a stroller because they were most likely to help a lost child.
    I've heard of kids being taught "stranger danger" being so afraid of people they don't know that they hide from police and other people looking for them when they are lost because EVERYONE is going to kidnap them in their minds. I won't do that to my kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'll stick with "stranger danger." I don't trust ANYONE, including police and those others that you are "supposed" to trust. Everyone is a psycho these days.
    Anonymous

• I work in preschool and for safety week we taught the kids that they shouldn't talk to anyone unless mommy ans daddy say it is ok. if someone ask you to go with them they need to find a mommy or a cashier (there is always one somewhere) and tell.

We also taught them to dail 9 1 1 not 9 11. there is a differenice there is no 11 on the phone.

also teach your kids your first and last name
    my daughter got seprate from me at a walmart and she didnt know my first name so they paged for " Shoo- Baby (her nickname) mommy"
    nawnie

Answer by nawnie at 10:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010