Moms who Homeschool

I am considering the option of homeschooling my children. My oldest is currently in a private Montessori school but the program ends at K-5 and I am not so confident in the school past that point. I do not want to send my children to public (I grew up in it and I do not want that for my children) but I find the great schools here to be more than we can afford. Do you all have any resources I can look to for guidance? I possess degrees in Psychology and Special Education so I can teach up to 12th grade in the state of Texas and I am aware of where to look for the standards of public education in our state. I have attempted to look up homeschooling websites for the local area but I have not found anything of substance. If you all could offer advice, resources or any type of assistance I would greatly appreciate the help. I would also like to know how you all have handled any negative feedback about homeschooling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in

• Please join our group: Happy Homeschoolers, here on cafemom. You'll find lots of great info.

happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 4:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with Happy1mom, Happy Homeschoolers has over 6000 members for advice and support. It's a great place to get all the info you might need.

I don't get much negative feedback for homeschooling, and I've been doing it for 7+ years. The occasional remark is balanced with plenty of people who say "You homeschool? How great!"
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'm also a member of the Happy Homeschooler's group and it's fantastic. What kind of guidance are you looking for? Are you just looking for support?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• In Texas, all you really have to do is inform the public school as to what you'll be teaching your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

Next question in
truancy laws in VA

Next question overall (Hobbies & Crafts)
Plant Hanger