insurance

Do you pay for your own insurance? Like not thru a job, just a personal plan? If so... how much do you pay on average a month? I need insurance and I need to find something affordable, but with good coverage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Health

• You are looking at two mutually exclusive conditions.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I buy Blue Cross/Blue Shield and i have for years. I am healthy and rarely use it (knock on wood) but the rates go up every year. For my dd and I it is $270/month. Her deductible is different than mine. Hers is $1000 and mine is $1500 for emergency room. After that it is 80/20. If it is just a reg. dr. appoint ment I pay a $30 copay. No health care or insurance is cheap!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I do. Just for myself it's (I think) about $380/month - last year it was less, my premiums go up every year. I've had it for a few years, and do have decent coverage - I know 2 years ago I had 2 surgeries and 10 days total in the hospital, my total bill by the time it was all said and done was close to $40k, and I only had to pay around $3k. For basic doctor or gyn visits it's not so great, $25 copay and sometimes they'll pay, sometimes they'll really not (yes it depends on what I'm seen for). Sadly I can't tell you what the name of the company is because they change names about every year (bought out by other places) but I know it started out as a child company of Blue Cross. Hubby's covered by BC/BS but his coverage is pretty crappy IMO.
    Anonymous