Midwife or Doctor

Which did you use? Did you prefer or do you prefer one over the other? why?

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 3:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I used a doctor and next time it will be a midwife. I strongly urge a midwife-they're c-section rates are lower. The one I plan to go to works with a hospital. So, I would be having the baby in a hospital but completely natural like I would at home-not IV, no drugs, I could eat, etc.. If something were to go wrong I would have the hospital staff right there to help. It's the best of both worlds.

Have you looked for something like this?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I used a doctor...if I ever do it again, I will use a midwife. I don't want all the extra nonsense done this time. Like pitocin and breaking my water. My labor was only 7 hours total. I don't think I needed extra. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I used an dr, but hired a doula to be there as well. Specifically with my current pregnancy and my last, they've both been classified "high risk" so I just prefer to have a dr - I have an OB, as well as a perinatologist, and a pediatric cardiologist (there are antibodies in my blood that can cause a fetal heart block)

Answer by missanc at 3:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• With my first it was a midwife and had her at a birth center. I had the birth I wanted other then it being long. With my second I had a Dr and had her at a hospital. It was not the experience i wanted and liked. I ended up with a epi against everything I believed. It did shut up all the freaking nurses. That is till I was in back labor and the only way I could work through that even with a epi was make noises. I could not move into a better positions. So next time it will be a midwife with a home birth.

Anonymous

• I had both, and I felt like I got the best of both worlds. I was high risk, so I saw a high risk OB weekly, regular OB a couple of times, and saw my midwife weekly. I also delivered with my midwife, in a hospital.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I used a nurse/midwife, who is also my sister. It was an amazing experience.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I had a midwife with all kinds of letters behind her name (she worked in the family practice clinic and only delivers in the hospital - she's not a home-birth midwife) with all 5 of mine, because I wasn't comfortable (still am not) with a male doctor down there and there wasn't a female doc in the practice at the time. LOVED my midwife!
    Anonymous

• i had a midwife with my son and i have a midwife now. both CNMs working out of hospitals.

there are wonderful midwives, and horrible midwives, wonderful OBs and horrible OBs. for me, i'm more likely to find a midwife i like because they are more likely to be friendly toward natural birth and less likely to push interventions that i believe are often unnecessary and risky. but i met w/ one great OB this pregnancy. i chose the midwife because she works out of a more supportive hospital. the hospital the OB works out of was not natural-birth-friendly imo.

I would PREFER a homebirth midwife, but my insurance will not cover any in my state. so w/ that major restriction, i just researched both midwives and OBs, and the places they attend births until i found the one that i thought made the chances of having a natural, normal birth most likely.

gl! =)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have high risk pregnancys. So I perfer to have a doctor, medical staff, and hospital near by.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• The hospital I gave birth in had doctors and midwives. I chose the midwives and there are 5 of them and you see each one at least once during the pregnancy because you get whoever is on call when the time comes. I think the doctors are the same. In the end, though, the on call midwife had to leave for an emergency so I ended up having on call doctor. The nurse did 90% of the work, though. The doctor really only came in when my daughter's heart rate when way down, but once it was back to normal, he left again and then came back to catch her. My SIL on the other hand had one doctor the whole time and then when her daughter was born, the doctor was at a conference and she ended up with the on call midwife.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010