Moving for a good job????

Hubby works for the federal government. He has the opportunity to apply for a very hig-up position in his field. It pays aroung $100,000/yr. The catch is .... we have to sign an agreement similar to military that they could move us wherever they need him. The average is three times in the first three years.
We have 4 kids, and two are teens in high school. We have lived in the same town for thier whole lives and they are very established in school, active in sports and school government, lots of friends. We also have ALL of our family in the same county. Grandmas, Grandpas, Aunts, uncles, and Cousins all within 30 min of us, some even in our same town and neighborhood.
Do we pack everyone up for the money???? We can pay our bills now with us both working, but the extra money would open up so many more opportunities for us and the kids. But, is it worth it to move them away from everything they know?

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why don't you talk about it with your kids? See what they say, and use that when making your decision.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My mom moved me while i was in high school...i hated her for it..but life goes on...it ended up being a terrible situation and we had to move back. I like the thought of moving around ESP with a company, your job is guarenteed when you get to your destination...Honestly your kids are almost out of the house, the job will help you with college money and retirement money? So i think it would be worth it..but thats just me...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would be sure to talk to the kids and see what they think about it and let them know ultimately you guys will make the decision but you will consider their feelings. Do you want to see knew places? would you ever be able to move back after a few years? I am back in my home town and I love being surrounded by family so I dont think I would want to move anymore. If it is all tehy have known it could be really heartbreaking to move or a great way to see something new. Kinda depends on your family and how you view change.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think you need to have a family meeting. Not all children mind moving. I would not do it. I turned down a marriage proposal because it meant moving to the west coast. (I'm in PA). I felt my children knowing their roots and family was too important. But you have to do what works for you.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 3:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Take the job. The kids will be ok. It's good and fun to see the world. Travel see new places. Meet new people.

Answer by louise2 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Take the job u can always come back and visit. It's not everyday that u have a offer making that much money.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• As others have said, this should be a family decision. It could be a great adventure, but I would be really worried about high school transcripts and college admissions.

With so many moves in such a short time, it might make sense for your spouse to get a small apartment in each city, and wait to move the family until he has a permanent posting.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• send me a private message if you want to. we move an average of every two years with each promotion.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2010