My mother-in-law is a witch.

My (future) mother-in-law and I have never really gotten along but since my fiance and I got engaged, I have been making a serious effort to be cordial, even though she hung up on him when he called to tell her he proposed to me.

Well now the problem is, she is getting married to her fiance this June. (I just found this out about a month ago) She wanted her son (my fiance) to be in the wedding, along with myself and our son as ringbearer and I felt quite honored that she would ask.

However, she e-mailed me the information and picture of the dress she has picked out for her bridesmaids and while it's pretty, it's also $140. She e-mailed me today to tell me I have to drive to the bridal store (2 hours away) THIS weekend and buy my dress so it can be ordered, but I don't have the money for it right now (nor will I have it this weekend)! Should I ask her to pay for it up front and I will return it when I have it? Or what

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Maybe have her son talk to her, let her know that you are really honored and excited to be a part of her wedding but the money is hard to come up with right now and see if she can help you out. My only worry is that if you owe her money it is something for her to hold over your head so be careful about that. Could you charge it on a credit card maybe?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• just tell her you wont have the money this weekend so what should you do? maybe (hopefully) she will offer to pay for it and ask you to pay her back...
    Anonymous

• have her son talk to her about it.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Find out how much you need to put down on the dress. You may not need to pay for the whole thing up front. If you do tell her how much you can afford right now and ask her to lend you the rest. I would tell her you understand paying for your dress if your responsibility but you weren't able to save that much in a month.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 3:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Maybe you could look for one that is close to what she wants that is cheaper! If you can then maybe you could play it off that you always get your formals from this certain dress store and they always do an awesome job, that you wanted to look your best for her wedding and you knew they would deliver! If not I would agree with MaryMW and ask your fiance to talk with her and see if she would help with the cost.
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• OP here- lol thanks guys...I wish I could have started saving for it a month ago..she just asked me to be in it on Saturday, and then told me I need to go yesterday! I guess I have to make the full payment because it takes 12 weeks to come in and the wedding is only 14 weeks away. It's just more difficult because we will also have to rent a tux for my fiance AND our son...being in a wedding shouldn't be so expensive! =( I can't imagine how on Earth we're going to buy them a wedding present too!
    Anonymous

• id say you cant be in the wedding. she probably just asked you to be out of consideration for her son anyway.. since you guys dont get along. she will probably be relieved.
    Anonymous