Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any CHILD SUPPORT officials out there?

So ... long story short, I have been divorced for 11 yrs. My ex stalked me and tried to kill me, so I had a restraining order .. ended up moving 3,000 miles away because ex would do stuff to me and I couldnt' prove it was him, so nothing ever happened. Like all my doors & windows would be open when I get home from work, car would be moved while I was in grocery store; creepy stuff like that.

Anyhow .. my divorce decree had child support garnished but every time employer would get garnishment order, ex would quit job and moves a lot!

I've heard that child support officials can garnish income tax check or refuse to renew a driver's license for back child support ... but this has never happened. I'm owed almost $40,000 ... I've sent a few letters requesting they do this, but don't get a response.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • CONTINUED ... So my question to those of you in the Child Support industry ... any idea WHY income tax isn't garnished and this isn't flagged when he renews his license? And is there anything I can do to make this happen?

    He swore he would never pay a dime and so far has been allowed to get away with it. My child just turned 18, so will child support close my case due to her age or keep my file open?

    I had to quit an amazing job to move, or I could be dead now ...... and we've struggled financially most of the past 10 yrs while he makes his $1,500 a week or most likely more by now.

    Any suggestions?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • My mother is still owed for me and I am 24. You just need to contact child support enforcement. They can garnish taxes but if he doesn't get a return then you obviously wont get anything. You can also google child support enforcement there is a site that helps get past due money. My dad did the same. He would quit his job every time. Now he has had his licence removed but that is still no motivation for him to pay it up.


    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • Mrs.Owen86

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • WOW ... great links. THANKS for the info Mrs.Owen86

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.