How do I get my 2 year old to go to bed in his own bed and stay there all night??

Yes I have tried putting him back in bed every time he gets out. Yes I have tried spanking him. Nothing works. He will go a week getting out of bed until midnight with me starting bedtime at 8pm. Help now he is giving me a hard time about staying in bed for nap time

4boysmom254

Asked by 4boysmom254 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he have toys in bed to play with? I always let my children have their stuffed animals to play with as long as they stayed in bed. It worked for all the times they were just bored or couldn't fall asleep right away. If he is having nightmares or wets himself that's different.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 3:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• are you not talking while putting him back there? I have a friend who put her son back to bed the first night 147 times.. and that was nanny 911 style... ugh.. meaning not talking or making eye contact or showing any frustration or anything.. have you seen the show? they have some great sleep problem ones! I find myself bribing/threatening to take away things and it gets ridiculous.. I am lucky that he stays in bed but he also calls out for me for up to 2 hours for water/blanket/bandaids you name it.. no matter what time of routine we have.. which has been the same ugh.. I feel for you mommy.. here's some hugs!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Firstly, don't spank a two year old for things that aren't essential. This will set you up for a cycle of bad bedtimes.
    Daytime naps - while many Moms say there kids have a nap til they go to school, none of mine did much past 2. So we had quiet time. An hour of sitting on the sofa watching a dvd, or looking at books in bed, or playing quietly in their room. Often they would fall asleep on the couch, but it wasn't the main aim, & I never let them sleep past 3.30pm
    Bedtime. Re-arrange his bedroom to signal a fresh start. Then pick a routine you can stick to religiously for at least one month.
    eg 6pm dinner, 6.30pm warm bath, 7pm quiet rhythmic book & a drink in their bed. Pick a sentence you will say every single night. "Time for sleep now. I love you" If he gets up, very calmly walk him back to bed. Put him in & say your sentence again. Repeat, repeat repeat. STAY CALM, Spanking, punishing will just get you & him crazy GL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• PS it is very normal for a two year old to come out again and again. They are only just starting to comprehend that when you leave the room, you still exist somewhere. All sorts of noises, shadows and thoughts can be very scary to a toddler. Don't discount that. I promise you will look back and be shocked at how much you expected out of such a little boy. Let him be little, Let him sleep in the middle, let him cuddle and snuggle and love on you. One day he will be a fifteen year old, who pats you on the shoulder and grunts LOL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010