Do you think Religon should effect how we decide who is allowed to get married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No...as far as the law is concerned it is a legal contract and there is supposed to be a seperation between chuch and state... supposed to be at least. I still have to remember to get a bottle of wine ahead of time if a have Sunday dinner plans.
    Anonymous

• It's never not going to be a factor in it.
    Anonymous

• God already decided!
    Anonymous

• Considering you don't have to be religious to get married, I'm gonna say hell no.
    Anonymous

• 1) Separation of Church & State.
    2) Christians/Jews did not invent marriage.
    3) Marriage has changed in much more significant ways already - Unless of course you still treat women as property, practice arranged marriage, allow polygamy/incest, ect.
    Anonymous

• no
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ... ummm ... I have a problem with the phrase "ALLOWED to get married"

I DO think that religion should be thoroughly explored by a couple considering marriage. It is pretty difficult to raise children who respect your explanations of right and wrong if your partner is not supporting you.

... And giving your children a moral compass is crucially important. Once they are grown, they're welcome to re-think the particulars of their ethics and come to their own independent conclusions. But if they grow up WITHOUT clear ideas of right and wrong, they're prey to many emotional and destiny dilemmas.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It shouldn't, and it's sad that it does.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Um...no.... I'm Atheist, should I not be "allowed" to get married? That seems silly. God or Religion, neither one, play part at all in my life or especially in my marriage.
    People getting married makes things easier in the sense of Monogamy, (ie- jealousy, having kids, STDS etc.) finances, taxes, child rearing, etc.

Nothing to do with religion....
    Anonymous

• ". And giving your children a moral compass is crucially important. Once they are grown, they're welcome to re-think the particulars of their ethics and come to their own independent conclusions. But if they grow up WITHOUT clear ideas of right and wrong, they're prey to many emotional and destiny dilemmas."

This can be accomplished while being rasied without any religion.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010