How many playgrounds are nearby your home?

Michelle Obama is starting a movement called "let's move" she says that by the year 2014 every kid in America will have a healthy lunch and every kid in America will have access to open spaces to run and play. She will help us to make better choices and she will make sure that our playgrounds are safe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Children are spending more and more of their waking hours sitting at a desk pounding out schoolwork while parents are too busy "being productive" to notice that their children eat a steady diet of processed convenience meals which barely meet the definition of food. There is absolutely no way that mass produced school lunches will EVER truly pass as proper nutrition (whole foods without additives) and all the playgrounds in the world won't matter if children are kept so tied up that they never use them.
    jmsmrs

Answer by jmsmrs at 2:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• there's 3.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• 4
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 4:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would love to see her make this happen but I doubt it. Making them safe especially. There are five by us.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Read Michelle Obama's Interview HERe

Anonymous

• In my area, there are at least two within a mile and a half, in either direction. Those playgrounds ARE safe as they are monitore at night by at least one cop. During the day, there are always kids there and parents and the one that is closer is just awesome . It is a "boundless playground" meaning that it's accessible to disabled kids! And todders, too. So many things to do and it is in front ofthe main entrance to a big trailhead.

As for Michelle Obama's plan...it's moot. I think kids would be better served by putting that tax money to use by IMPROVING SCHOOLS to begin with and making sure all the lunches are healthy accross the nation.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In Minneapolis I used to live within 5-6 blocks of 5 very nice, safe playgrounds/ parks. Now in St Paul I live 7 blocks away from a not very nice one. I miss it!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• By 2014? What do free school lunches currently provide, for those who qualify? Besides, I see children bringing all kinds of processed crap to school that their parents pack for them--is Michelle going to crack down on what parents send in to school?! As for playgrounds--counting the one in our backyard (pool, swingset/fort, trampoline, soccer goals, tetherball and basketball court), acres of woodlands behind our house and the community parks and playgrounds, there are PLENTY of options for our children to play!

Unfortunately, though, just because the parks, fishing streams, and hiking/biking/walking trails are there (beautiful AND very safe), doesn't mean parents get their kids to them--too many of the middle school/high school aged kids spend their beautiful weather days inside playing video games! When I was a kid it was pretty much "illegal" to be inside when the weather was nice! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I love Cafemom! These ladies are so outspoken. Thank you for all the comments. op
    Anonymous

• none
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2010