Hypothetical Situation: What would you do?

Hypothetical Situation: A scientist announces that he has discovered a cure for cancer. On the way to a press conference where he was to reveal the cure to the world, he is in a near-fatal car accident and will require a full heart/lung transplant to survive. If he dies, the cure dies with him. The only available tissue match is a man at the same hospital in a persistant, vegetative state, who is incapable of giving expressed consent to donate his organs. If his organs are harvested to save the scientist, he will die. There is not enough time to find another donor. Do you kill one man to save another? Regardless of the circumstances, that still makes you a murderer. Is one person's life more valuable than another? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me the man in a vegetative state is already dead. So give the organs to someone who will live a normal life.

Answer by louise2 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• There is no way you could legally get around that, BUT going with the hypothetical....I'd say yea, give the organs to the man who WILL survive and live a normal life and can contribute to society.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Oh I think they would find some way around it..like I'm sorry he died from an infection....and yes I'd harvest him, especially if I had a loved one dying.
    Anonymous

• Yes. and usually if he's already like that the family will elect to pull the plug
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Well, since the angels and the man's higher ego who guide his fate are cognizant of limitations like legalities which prohibit removing a man's organs against his will, I would ethically have to go with giving the injured scientist the best care possible.

If he is meant to live, then perhaps his body can make a dramatic leap toward life. ... Stranger things have happened !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• technically they keep people alive (medically) during organ harvesting all the time.... you can't take dead tissue and transplant it, so it would just be up to the family to sign the paperwork, but if it was my loved one who was the vegetable i would have signed them over already
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Well, first Id see what the comatose mans family has to say and go from there.

If it were my relative...Id give permission to harvest because Id know he'd rather give of himself and die then live helpless as a "vegetable".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• That scientist should have had a memory card.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• You have too much time on your hands.
    I would not be able to make that decision I would have to pray that the right decision be made and pass the choice over to my fiance. I think no one life is more valuable than another. Some people just have more use for one person than another.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If the scientist had half the brains you gave him he has notes somewhere. OK ok but to stay within the hypothetical harvest the organs with family consent. Only because it saves a life not because of the cancer cure, which if you believe the rumors other countries already have, but the US won't allow because it's herbal and therefore can't be patented. The pharmacies will go bankrupt overnight if there were a cure for cancer. Or diabetes for that matter.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010