Should I mention he's autistic or not...

My 2 year old is starting a mommy and me gymnastics class tonight and I'm unsure whether I should mention to the coach that he has PDD-NOS (on the autism spectrum) or not. I don't want him to be treated differently than the other kids, but I also don't want people to look down on us if I have to step back and let him take a break if he gets overwhelmed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• i wouldtalk about it to the teacher, it would be easier to talk about it in advance than to try and explain after something happens
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• yes you should tell him.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think you should in case he gets too overwhelmed..I always do the same for my son. I let them know before hand..so they won't think he's a little brat. lol
    Anonymous

• i think you should tell them. like in writing. just pass him the note. telling them that you dont want him to be treated differently and that you want the same goals for him in class but if you do run into something ... like he gets overwhelmed... that you want them to be informed why it might happen. you shouldnt have to SAY it in front of the group but you should let him know so that he knows what is happening should you have a meltdown happen.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I can see telling the couch. So he/she knows what is up with him.

Answer by louise2 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'd tell the coach exactly what you just told us.
    Anonymous

• I would tell the coach.
    keyjo

Answer by keyjo at 5:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yes, by all means, tell the coach. Not the parents, just the coach. They need to know of ANY special needs that kids in the class have.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would see how it goes. It's a mommy and me class so you'll be the one working with him, right? If he has trouble, then I'd talk to the coach, but I would necessarily do it right off the bat.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 5:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i would mention it to the coach only if it came up. at 2 even a NT child may need a break during a structured class when getting frustrated. No one will think anything of it. Child starts to get 'cranky' you pull them to the side If it was a matter of melt-downs during class then I would mention it so that they can support you. I have been there on this one with my DS and karate at 4. He owuld have melt-downs that lead me to getting a DX and now when he returns to Karate (we took a hiatus) I can explain better to them what is happening so we can help each other.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010