Third Trimester Weight Gain

I am pregnant with my second child and I haven't gained as much weight as I did with my first. The differences are my first child was my daughter and this one is a boy. I gained weight with no problem with my daughter. I am now 34 weeks and only gained 13 pounds so far. My Dr told me he wants me to gain another 8lbs before I deliever at 39 weeks (I am having a scheduled c-section) Recently I have noticed one side of my face looks sunken in and the other side is starting to do the same thing. I think its because I really haven't put much weight on. I heard some people say that the baby will take what it needs from you and you can lose weight in other parts...anyone else ever experienced this or heard about this?? It is really starting to bother me and its kind of freaking me out..I think thats why I have trouble eating because I'm so nervous

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well first off the doctor should have told you this, a boy takes up to 800 more calories from you a day than a girl will, if you are overweight 13 pounds is more than enough, if you are normal weight usually 20 lbs total is normal weight gain, and if you are under weight 25 lbs is normal. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you are eating several times a day, and taking vitamins and drinking a lot of water. I am also wondering what the reason for the scheduled c section is? This can play a role as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• When I had my daughter she was 9lbs 10oz. I got induced with her and only made it to 5cm after 12 hoursof petosin. So they did a c-secton with her and now they are doing a repeat one with him
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• the dr. shouldn't be stressing u out over this. it's ok not to gain alot of weight while you're pregnant as long as you are healthy and eating healthy food. i gained 50+ with each boy, but for my girl i didn't even gain half of that. she was just as healthy as her brothers, and even toward the end it's normal to stop gaining or even to lose weight. tell your dr. to stop worrying you so much.... stress is something that is not good when you're pregnant. don't worry and gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I sent you a PM please look at it, and I would look into a different care provider he is only causing you more problems by telling you what to do, remember it is your body and you do what is best for you and the baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would say you are probably fine. I am not a big person, usually 115-120 pre pregnancy and this is my 5th pregnancy. The only one I have gained 20 lbs with was my 1st. I just don't gain a lot of weight - I'm huge, all belly out in front just not a lot of weight gain. I only gained 16 lbs with my 2nd and he was 7 lbs 14 oz. As long as you are feeling okay, I think you're doing fine. You can add a milkshake a day, make sure you're getting some good fats, etc that might help as well.

Answer by missanc at 5:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010