My 22 month old can climb out of his crib now and is refusing to nap. Anyone have any suggestions?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 5:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son climbed out at the same age. When I realized just how easily he could get out, we moved him to a regular bed. I looked into crib tents but they won't work on convertible cribs (the sides must be even). If a crib tent will work, go that way. At a minimum, totally babyproof the room and put a knob protector on the door. Personally, I think once a child can climb out of the crib, you need to move to a bed. However, my SIL gave her son a very stern lecture and he never did it again. We moved directly to a double bed (that's what our crib converted to. It didn't convert to a toddler). Took a few weeks for him to adjust and naptime took a big hit but eventually he got use to it. At that point, regular naps came back. I wouldn't recommend voluntarily moving to a bed at this age but sometimes you just don't get a choice. Safety becomes a concern.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I refused to believe all of the advice to upgrade to the toddler bed...Then, one day, my husband simply converted my DD's crib to the toddler bed, and she's slept in it w/o issue ever since! I couldn't believe it! If you are concerned about her safety (getting up in the night and falling down stairs) you might put a gate at the bedroom door or invest in a crib-tent. https://www.totsinmind.com/
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yep times to convert to toddler bed, and some kids that age don't want to nap, my DD does it sometimes and sometimes not.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My sons could climb out early too. I bought two twin mattresses and put them right on the floor and we would nap side by side and at night I would put a baby gate at the door - but half the time I would fall asleep next to him on my twin mattresse.
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 5:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i had to put child proof door knob covers on the inside of my sons door. he refused his naps for a little while, but when he couldn't get out of his room he eventually laid in his bed and took his nap. he played quite a bit first though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• upgrade to a toddler bed
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yah, the toddler bed is good. DD is 22months and we just got her a convertible that we made into a toddler bed right away. She really likes it, but still will get up and wander. I am horrible at routines, but just the few things we do- lunch, song, potty, nap, micky cartoon- makes it work. Plus, watching a cartoon afterward (a treat) makes her more willing to sleep.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We changed my son over to a toddler bed once he was able to climb out... he was 17 months. Nap times became a bit more challenging at first... but we started laying down on our bed for naps to start with and now he goes to bed fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• we are getting ready to move my daughter to her toddler bed. she is almost 20 months. she can't climb out just yet, but if she did, she would get hurt because there is nothing around for her to climb onto. i think she will do okay. there have been some days where she doesnt want to nap and others where she takes 2! ha ha.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010