What should u dress your newborn in during these hot summer months? First time mom!

I have about a week to go and i wondering if i should buy a recieving/swaddle blanket. But its so hot! i dont want to over heat her. so what is best for summer time!

Asked by julyo8mommy at 12:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thin clothes, but make sure she is completely covered, a sunburn for a baby is cruel. If you don't have ac in your car, I would even say rent a car. Heat for a newborn is no joke. I put a recieving blanket over my sons carseat, not touching him, but blocking the sun. He has light colored eyes like me so I know how bad it hurts his little eyes. Good luck, I hope that I was helpful.

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• You are basically supposed to use light layers and dress them one layer more than you would wear yourself. I would say a onsie and wrapped in a light blanket.

Answer by rasbneon at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• most pediatritians now reccomend that you dress your baby the same as you would dress yourself for comfort, with the only exception being to take extra precautions in keeping them from sun exposure. Trying to maintain an indoor temp of around 72-75 degrees and dressing them in onesies/thin pants or shorts and socks on feet is usually sufficient. Just keep an eye on hands and feet: if they have any tinge of blue/dark red, but the rest of the body is normal, that ususlly indicates that they are a little cold.

Answer by Traci_plus_3 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• When my DS was born (late June) we didn't have AC in our home so I kept him in just a diaper while we were INSIDE @ home.

If we went out it was just a onesie and some socks. I also made sure that he was shaded. You don't want him exposed to the sun.

I would also packed some warmer clothing (mostly shorts/heaver onesie) and blankets especially if would be at a place that would have AC like my Grandparents or Resturant. Sometimes I would go head and put in that if I knew we would be there long.

If it was just to the store, I would trow blankets on him as we were walking through the store...

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• a onsie outside of the home and a diaper and t-shirt at home!

Answer by VinniesMommie at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Onsies are great

Answer by KNN at 2:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• onsies and thin receveing blanket over the carseat always works

Answer by Queenlette at 2:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Keep the clothing light..according to the weather... light receiving blankets... just go with the flow.. i did alot of socks.. sun suits... I was told do not take them out in direct harsh the beach. You can not put sunscreen on then til they are I think 6 mos, their skin is too delicate.. but best to check with your pediatrician for his final advise.

Answer by Colunga65 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I would do something light,and thin a oneies prehabs or thin nightgown make sure the baby is not hot nor cold they do get a little grumpy.

Answer by dulcedelarosa at 6:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• the same ammount of layers as you. If you are hot, they are hot. You can even keep them in a diaper if you want.
    A good rule of thumb is ( in the winter for brand new borns) is one layer more than what you are wearing. For the summer dress them how you would like to be dressed i.e. if you would feel more comfortable being naked let them be naked.
    Also babies hands and feet always feel cold, even when they are not. So do not judge based on how thier hands and feet feel. Feel their chest if you are unsure.

Answer by libbykate at 2:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2008