How would you handle this?

Well I am SAHM of two (an infant and a toddler). My sister has divorced recently (a little over a year ago) and and moved in with my parents. She called me last month and asked for $300 for a car payment. She said she'd pay me at the end of the month. Well the last of the month came and went and I haven's seen a cent. She did however this weekend and I noticed she just had her nails done. Maybe it's petty but why get her nails done when you have no money.

She has no secure job and I feel so foolish. I realize the economy is rough but she refuses to get a stable job.
I am very careful with money and I took the money out of savings to loan to her. When should I "remind" her she owes me money? How would you approach the topic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• I would not remind her. I would learn from the experience and never loan her any money again.

Answer by louise2 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ummm NOW! 300 is alot of money to loan someone. You should call and be like look, I know you needed help with your car payment and I helped you on the fact you gave your word you would pay it back. I need that money so when can you have it. I know its blunt but if you play nice and passive I honestly don't think you will ever get it back.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 5:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would remind her now. If she has money to blow on her nails then she should be paying you back.
    Anonymous

• The one thing my mom taught me is to never loan out any money to friends or family and expect it back. B/c you'll be broke and you'll lose the friendship/relationship. So if I know I don't have it to spare I will not give any money out. You can ask her for it, remind her but take this as a lesson learned.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 5:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i would have reminded her already, and when i do i'll also remind her not to waste her time asking me for money again.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'd keep REMINDING HER. Be pushy until you get your money back.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• does she honestly have the money to give you back?? getting your nails done is a mear 25-30 bucks at the most..but you could approach her in a matter to where you don't totally piss her off and you'll never see it I would just say I helped you out because I felt you needed it but now,I really could use the money when do you think you can get the money? Just put yourself in her shoes before you get all pushy about it how would you feel if you borrowed money and you couldn't pay it back and somebody kept pushing you I would put yourself in and try to understand her position and afterall she is your sister if you can afford to give her the money then do it you'll feel much better you helped somebody when they needed it than to constantly be after her and unhappy...Just next time just keep in mind that you know she cannot pay you back so don't borrow her the money./
    Anonymous

• Sit down and talk with her about it. Bring up everything you brought up here.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 9:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010