Can religions cause ignorance and an inability to think for oneself?

I have seen many in the religion I left and in other religions capped in their thinking. They struggle to allow a development of what they themselves think because they are so programmed to follow whatever canon they have been taught from. They don't question out of fear of God or whatever damnation. I don't think like this so I just am curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have yet to meet anyone of the "Christian/Bible/God and Jesus" based religions that wasn't like that. Now, on the other hand, I have met many from other ones that aren't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• YES!!!!!!!!!!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 5:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• yes i think it can, i have seen it within my own family and sometimes their thought process just boggles my mind.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I don't think every religion is that way. In my religion, we are encouraged to pray to our Heavenly Father to ask if the things being taught are true or false. We are encouraged to make desisions for ourselves and praying to our Heavenly Father what HE wants us to do in our lives.
    Anonymous

• If it didn't, you wouldn't have people with signs saying "God Hates Fags" or "God Hates Jews".
    Anonymous

• I feel that this is a very hateful question.
    Anonymous

• ROFL
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Oh my god any religion can do that. I think if we didn't have religion people would be able to do whatever the hell they wanted.
    Imogine

• absolutely! not all religous people are like this but most of those whom I have come into contact with are.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ANYTHING can cause THAT !!
    Look at fashion trends ...
    sexual trends ( the "sexual revolution" which has brought so much misery, but society is in denial about it) ...
    political parties ...
    the sloganeering, emotion-driven "thinking" fostered by our progressive educational system in the public schools (which has spread into most non-gov't schools, too, in the last decade)

I think what causes ignorance and an inability to think for oneself is the person's inner attitude. Once they reach 21 or so, do they bother to think things through? If they don't, then THAT - not their religion - causes this lack of self-mastery.

And, to be fair, when people encounter contrasting information, they will come to different conclusions. We don't blame 12th century Europeans for being ignorant about the Americas. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010