Spoiled children..

When I was little my parents had 3 kids, then my dad remarried and we were a family with 5 kids. I never got to have really nice things. I'm not saying my parents didn't provide, we always had clean clothes, a nice house, etc. But now, I'm not gonna lie, I think my DD is pretty spoiled. She is 20 months, and is honestly spoiled with THINGS. We dicipline her, if she has done something wrong, she gets time out, or whatever the appropriate dicipline is. She isn't a brat, she is nice and plays very well with other children, she "helps" by cleaning her room, etc.. She doesn't expect things from us, she just has a LOT of stuff. She has more toys than any child I've ever seen, she has more clothes than she could ever wear, she has a college account that will eventually have enough to pay for whatever school she wants to go to, etc. My sis made a comment that she is spoiled and now I'm worried that it is bad. So, do you think its bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP again: She is the first kid, first grandkid and first great grandkid, so she gets stuff from all directions. My sis' comment was pretty snotty, saying it like we were bad parents for letting her or giving her so much stuff, which really got me thinking that maybe she is right, so I'm curious what other moms' thoughts are.
    Anonymous

• If your child is exactly as you say she is, then, I believe your sis is jealous and out of line. Maybe she is mad that she can't provide for her kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Who cares it is your child! if you can afford to do better for her than what was done to you more power to you! she sounds very nice and well mannered which means it isnt going to her head.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 5:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i don't see the point in buying my kids alot of toys (when they have too many toys they just turn into JUNK lol bc they're just cluttering up the house) and why buy her so many clothes? i think it's really great to plan for her education, maybe instead of buying her too many toys and clothes you could put that money in her college account..... she will really appreciate that in the future.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think spoiled is an attitude. If your child is spoiled, it means she/he is not appreciative, does not value what she has, and expects more and more. They have no sense of responsibility and expect everything to be done for them.
    On the other hand, I don't believe kids NEED mass amounts of toys and clothing.
    Anonymous

• She isnt spoiled! she is well taken care of. You are providing a nice life for your child, it sound like your sister is just jealous over it! Keep up the great work
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Honestly all of my kids had too many clothes the first few years because I like buying cute little clothes...it really had nothing to do with them at that point. You know your child is spoiled when they expect something every time you go anywhere, they expect to always get their way, they don't help out and treat you like a servant, and they are disrespectful. I don't think spoiled is all about the stuff - it's more about the attitude.

You can't do much about gifts coming from others, but you can cut back on what you get for her if you think she has too much. You can also periodically clean through her "stuff" and donate it it to others. I'm currently trying to spend less on clothes and extras so we can take a nice vacation as a family.
    Anonymous

• I get dumb comments like these all the DARN time and its ofcourse from people that believe that if you have one kid they could never be something good, i get the typical he is spoiled and selfish and if you have another one he will calm down,mine is 3 and i will never regret him even if we decide to let him be the only child,because i wanted my kid more than any of my friends did with their 2-4 kids,none planned their kids but yet they wanna teach me to have more,i think its pure jelousy and like i say to people,if he has too much of anything worry not for it all came out of our pockets,and if your daughter was spoiled what is it of anyones concern.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my mil buys my kids tons of stuff too. i think our home is over run with toys. i hate it, my husband loves it. as of right now, the kids still need help cleaning it all up, but they still have toys that are 5 years old, and they still play with all of them...so i don't feel right getting rid of them either! i agree with other poster that spoiled is more an attitude. my kids are good about sharing, so thats a good thing. i think we are going to start making changes though. i think if $ is given, we will bank some, and let the kids spend some. i think i will request more clothes and shoes that they need, rather than adding more toys to the collection! just be sure your daughter is nice, and don't worry about what your sis says...she will have her turn too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Our dd who is almost 2 is also the first grandbaby on both sides and the first great grandbaby on a few. They're just going to get bombed with stuff. At this age, they don't know what they have be it a lot or a little. There's physical spoiling and emotional spoiling. As long as your daughter isn't being spoiled emotionally (gets consequences, taught manners and proper behavoir etc) don't worry about it. We try to "theme" gifts at holidays to cut down on quantity of toys/clothes/junk. Like this year we're asking for furniture for a toddler room since we're having a baby and bumping dd up. If someone has to get a present, we ask for wooden puzzles. Your sister sounds like she was having a petty moment- don't let it get to you.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2010