Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

legal question

Right now there is no court order saying who has custody of my 6month old dd. Until this morning I was engaged. Now the father wants to fight for full custody of dd. I'm worried though about when I get home tonight. What can I do if he's not there.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Does he have the baby with him right now?

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • if he is baby's birth father or even not, if he takes baby without your knowledge or permission call the police immediately when you find out, and even ahead of time if you're worried.

    They might be able to be at the daycare when it's thought he'll show up. If you have to leave work to go there too, then do that.

    He can't legally take your baby away without your knowledge at least even if you don't want him too.

    If he's threatened you subtly or outright you need to make a complaint immediately.

    Answer by lfl at 6:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • mother's that aren't married always have the custodial rights to the child until the father takes the mother to court or DFS steps in to give temp custody to someone else. he cannot take the child from you, but i have heard that if he sees them with someone else in public he has the right to take the child from that person. (just heard that somewhere)

    Answer by angevil53 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • It depends on the state you live in. In some states mothers have custody... in other BOTH parents (or neither) has custody until you go to court.

    I don't understand... you guys broke up and he said he was going to take the baby this morning?? I'd be looking at local laws and going to court and filing for custody with temp emerg custody b/c he threatend to take the baby etc.


    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • He said he's picking her up from school from there I don't know where they are going. I don't care so long as he takes her home and not to like his moms.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • well if he the father i can tell u this he can take the baby with out u stoping him the cop will tell u the same i just went threw this the told me it kinda like two people having a car in there name with no court order the right thing is to get a lawyer bc if he take s the baby u wont get it back tell court its not kidnap bc it parental something as the cop told us ( if he listed as the father )

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.