Has anyone adopted a Great Pyrenees?

I am considering adopting one because I want a big dog but I also want it to be gentle and loving and put up with my kids. I have heard great things about them but only from a couple people. I was just wondering if you have one, are they as sweet as people claim them to be?

I know all dogs can be sweet if raised properly, just wondering about experiences.

And if you live in FL, did you use the florida great pyrenees adoption? That is where I am planning to get mine.

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 6:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pets

• We have a Pyr, and she is wonderful. Make sure they get to bond with your children as they are 'guardian' dogs and will protect and befriend whomever they bond with. If you live in a hot climate remember they are a mountain breed with a very thick coat that will need constant grooming and care so they don't get sores or mats. Pyrs need lots of exercise if they don't have room to roam. When they get bored they will do three main things - dig (oh my goodness can they dig!), they bark (which is a breed trait, again a mountain dog) and they will sometimes run away, mostly because they are bred to roam large areas to care for their sheep in the mountains. They are a great dog, but be sure they are a breed that fits your area, lifestyle and time commitment. Abby is a wonderful girl and we love her lots...good luck! Adopt from a reputable Pyr rescue please...
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 12:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have never owned a Great Pyrenees, but i have worked with many. They have all been very laid pack and great with kids. That being said there is always an exception to the rule. I have met many dogs from different breeds that were not breed standard personality wise. if you are going through a breed rescue they will be able to help you fins the right fit.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• oh they are so beautiful aren't they?

we have a mastiff who's huge as can be 150 lbs at 2 and a half years old and he is so gentle. He listens very very well when being told no.

If you are considering large dogs think about a mastiff - but they do have to be fed on high buckets so stop the truly fatal, near fatal large dog sickness. I think it's bloat.

We live in an ocean town, he doesn't get over heated cuz we're careful but also the fur isn't overwhelming on him or on us cause he's short hair.
    Anonymous

• We had one when I was growing up.. BE VERY CAREFUL if you have other dogs though. The vet said since they were somewhat herding dogs, that instincts kicked in, so when it tried to control our smaller dogs and they didn't listen, it attacked!! She killed 1 of our dogs and seriously injured another one. So just be careful with other dogs, but with us kids, she was great.
    Anonymous

• The PPs gave good tips. Just to add---

Get a Furminator-- it's a very expensive brush that will help strip away dead hair. It will rescue your house.
    Leadership based training works very well with them. Bark Busters is what we use for our XL dogs.
    They are a working breed so they need physical and mental stimulation. If you have older children who want to practice dog training skills and tricks, it's a great breed.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2010