how do i stop a dog from chewing

i have a dog that was given to me an im not sure what it is but its a big dog.she chews everything in sight including my brand new bed room set she chewed the legs on the dresser during the night..if i leave her outside at night then my yard is full of trash in the morning that she has drug up an i cant tie her up or she barks non stop..i have a new grandbaby on the way an im afraid shes gonna get ahold of her stuff to an tear it up..i think this dog is psycho...any suggestions!!!

sharonslove

Asked by sharonslove at 7:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pets

• dogs chew...and depending on the breed some chew more than others. How old is the dog? Maybe its teething..
    Buy stuff that is OK for the dog to chew on, rope toys and or bones and make them available for the dog.
    girl_in_the_D

Answer by girl_in_the_D at 7:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• How old is this dog? all dogs will chew especially when they are young and teething but they will also chew if they are bored. This dog should be crated when you can not watch her . She should never be left unattended until she has outgrown this behavior. She needs to have toys that are not easily destroyed like kongs or soup marrow bones. I would not give her stuffed toys because dogs can not tell the difference between theirs and a child's stuffed toy. This dog may not be getting enough exercise so if you can get out and throw a ball for a good amount of time or take for long walks that would be good.  Getting some triaining under this dogs belt would be good as well.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It sounds crazy but we found out a particular taste that our dog hated!! He hated lime juice! So what I did was buy a small squirt bottle and filled it with lime juice. Then I went around to the things that he loved to chew on and sprayed them! He stopped pretty quick once he realized everything he chewed on tasted like crap! I don't know how to keep them out of the trash though cause mine still does it! lol But on things that were washable I would spray that lime juice and he would stay clear from it! Hope this could help!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would crate train the dog and put it in the crate when you can't be there to supervise. Also, in my experience a tired dog is a good dog. Sounds like he needs more exercise. Maybe give him a long walk before bed.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Muzzle it

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Make sure there are plenty or bones or kongs for him to chew on. When you catch him chewing something he's not supposed to, tell him "NO" in a loud deep voice. Then give him something he can chew. You have to be consistent.

My lab is a nervous chewer. As long as he has tennis balls or toys in his mouth he is ok. He chews them like we chew gum.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I agree with everyone else. He needs plenty of exercise, appropriate things to chew on, and to be crated when he can't be supervised.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• how old is the dog? Dogs chew until about a year for small ones to 2 years for large breeds cause they are puppys with teething issues. Get chewys for the dog and every time you see her chewing on something tell her leave it and then replace it with one of her chews. Positive reinforcement. And crate train her. Then she can be crated when she can't be supervised.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• All large dogs need exercise. But there could also be other problems.Dental problems are a possible issue. If the dog was at his other home for a long time, he could be going through separation anxiety. The older a dog is, the more adjustments he has to make when going to a new home. He may need a lot mor attention and reassuring to help him "settle in". If he gets little attention, he will find ways to entertain himself. New homes mean new smells an textures. When I bring in a dog that shows a chewing problems, I give him something that is okay to chew on to distract him. I watch him carefully and repeat giving him his chew itemss until he finally gets it. New pets should not be allowed to explore your home unsupervised. It takes time to notice the quirks and habits of new pets, especially when you don't know anything about the pet's past. This goes for pets that have been moved from home to home also. .
    YourMomma5960

Answer by YourMomma5960 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2010