Do you let your kids play outside unattended?

I couldn't tell you how many countless hours I spent as a child playing in the woods or away from my house! My mom worked third shift so I was always outside!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't now but she is only 20 months, but when she is old enough to understand how to be safe and certain rules they yes.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• we cant at my house no yard but at the park they run everywhere
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• no. my son is only 5 and he is an only child. I tried telling him last summer it was okay for him to play on our back porch if he wanted while i cleaned the kitchen but he is too chicken....which is fine...just means he has his guard up. im sure when he gets older he will want to play around the neighborhood with other kids. I havent got to that yet so idk how i'll be.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• yep.
    Anonymous

• I played outside alone a lot as a child too. I grew up in a very rural area on a farm with a forest right behind our house. But it really wasn't very safe. There weren't any strangers walking by or anything like that, but there were wild animals around and plenty of opportunities to get hurt on the farm equipment, there was an old well that a small child could fall into, and there was a creek right next to the house that I fell into and floated down when I was a toddler. We now live in a small town in a quiet neighborhood on a dead end street. I let my almost 7 yr old play alone in our yard, but she has to stay in the back where I can see her from the window. My 2 yr old has to have an adult with her.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yes I do, we live on a dead end and I let them go in the back yard which backs up to a friends back yard. I check them constantly, crack a window so I can hear them and put the dog out with them. I go out with them a lot but I have an infant and am not always able to be outside with them. I do not assume they are being good and are where they should be, therefore I check on them A LOT! But they do play outside alone.
    Anonymous

• Never. I'm too terrified of "what if".
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yep. At our last house we had a fenced in back yard that the kids could play in. Here, they are a bit older (6 and 8) and it's a tight knit neighborhood so everyone keeps an eye or ear out for everyone else.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Heck no! At my oldest dd's age I was riding my bike all over town, all over the local college campus, pretty much anywhere on our side of the highway. I was even going to the grocery store alone to buy candy, lol! Our town was about 3,500 back then. Now WE live in the town my hubby grew up in. Current population is between 700-800. But I will not let my kids outside alone because we have an alley, and our neighbor's dd & her bf pull in and gun it, and I don't need my kids run over. We're also on the 2nd busies street in town, which leads out of town & turns into a gravel road, and there are people that fly into town at 50mph even though speed limit's 25 - so I don't trust that either. My oldest is old enough and showed enough maturity last summer that this year she'll be allowed out alone, BUT she'll have to stay in our yard or will be grounded.
    Anonymous

• If they're in the backyard at my mom's or outside on the patio. But I still have to check on them because they like to tear stuff apart.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 1:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2010