Hot dogs dangerous? Warning labels?

So they are tossing around the idea of changing the shape of hot dogs because kids can choke on them to easily. Is there one mom out there who doesn't know kids can choke of hot dogs and they should cut them in 1/2 and then slice them for their young child and only give a few pieces at a time for toddlers who love to stuff their mouths full? Do they need to have warnings on the packages?
Wouldn't this just be government going to far?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well for the safety of children with not so bright parents? Yes, I would like to see it on the packages. I would also like to see a nitrate warning on them also since it is linked to childhood cancers. I think that a lot of parents don't even know that nitrates / nitrites cause cancer in children mainly leukemia. The recommendation for feeding hotdogs with nitrates in them is 1 hotdog a month.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Unfortunately there are people who do not know that hotdogs can be dangerous. I believe there are warnings on hotdog packages about chocking hazards. It is up to the parent to read the package and learn how to make sure that the foods that they feed to their little ones is not going to choke them.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 7:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• What I find funny is I've successfully gotten 4 kids through the baby/toddler years and all 4 of them ate hotdogs and grapes and such and not once did they choke on them. What did they choke on? Bananas and cheerios, 2 foods they recommend giving to babies under 1.
    My youngest used to eat hot dogs whole when she was a toddler. My aunt freaked out at our family reunion because she was 16 months and eating everything on my plate and stole my hot dog (ate it with the bun and all like a big kid). She's almost 4 now and her favorite snack is grape tomatoes. She eats them like candy.
    We have hot dogs occasionally in the summer (usually 100% beef kosher franks...our favorite). I don't buy regular hot dogs any more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Why take the chance when it only takes a minute to cut a hotdog? If one child has choked it's worth the extra minute for me to cut the hotdag and yes I cut grapes too. I would never forgive myself if my Little One choked on a hotdog knowing it could happen and just not cutting it up for him. The warning couldn't hurt to remind people that this can and has happened before.
    Anonymous

• what about steak and chicken?! Kids can (and will at some point) choke on ANYTHING! Parents need to be mindful of their children when they are eating, and of course, be required to take an infant/child CPR class (which includes conscious and unconscious choking situations)!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

•  There should be warning labels for everything we put in our mouths.

Anonymous

• Just because there is a warning on the package, does not mean the not so bright parents are going to read that package.
    Anonymous

• You'd be surprised how many parents are not packing a full deck of cards in that area.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I was wondering if people would be talking about this today; we just ran an interview with that very advice, Steph...cut 'em up.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123979343

Answer by gdiamante at 8:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It's really sad to see that common sense is just not very common these days. A warning won't do anything, and really there are way too many things out there that can be a choking hazard. If we changed all of them, it would take ages, and by that time there would be new choking hazards to change.

Anonymous