Are there any "good" milk alternatives?

I've become very lactose intolerant, especially towards milk, which sucks big time considering I LOVE to have a big ole glass of milk. Anyway, I can't drink soy milk either because of allergies. I've tried Hemp and Almond. Both taste like ass. Is there ANY alternative to regular milk that Doesn't taste so bad??

ItsNotSoBad

Asked by ItsNotSoBad at 7:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• There are many brands of hemp and almond milk. We like the vanilla hemp milk by Living Harvest. It's quite sweet and nutty. We drink it as a dessert.

Rice milk is best for regular drinking. You can find it unsweetened for cooking. Even if it says "plain" on the label, there are sugars in the milk. You want to buy the non-sweetened.

Can you do goat milk? Raw goat milk is said to be most like human milk in its protein and sugar profile. Some states regulate the sale of raw milk and you'll have to buy it as "pet milk" but it's very clean and safe if you buy it from a good dairy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Rice milk is pretty good.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Can you drink the lactose free milk?
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• What about lactose free, or even taking the meds that help you be able to digest it? (lactaid? not sure what they're called)
    Anonymous

• Dari-Free, made by Vance Foods and often available in health food stores or you can order it online. It comes in regular & chocolate flavors, is vitamin fortified and can be used for baking as well as drinking. It has a more creamy consistency like cow's milk instead of the watery consistency of most other milk substitutes. It is also protein-free, so if you use milk as a primary protein source, this may not be a good choice for you. My son is allergic to milk and this is the only milk substitute he would accept. Find more info here: www.vancesfoods.com
    Anonymous

• Coconut milk has a richer flavor that you might like; So Delicious is a quality brand
    Don't reject something based on one tasting; different brands have different flavors.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I hear Almond Breeze is good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2010