Aboriginal Figure Skating. Why Offensive?

What is so offensive about the Russian's aboriginal dance? I thought it creative. At least it didn't look like everyone elses. There is so many moves you can do on ice. I found it creative not offensive. I'd really like to know why others don't like it?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 7:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Entertainment

• The music and the costumes were the largest problem, the fact that the female skater was wearing red is a direct violation of aboriginal law when it comes to ceremonial dance, and the skin tone in the world championships and the amount of body paint was what was offensive, and the music was outside of aboriginal norms as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It is offensive because it is not an accurate interpretation of the costumes or the dance, and the aboriginals feel like they are more being made fun of than being payed homage which is understandable.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• bc they have no other stress in their life and have to find something from nothing. i doubt aboriginals (is that the right plural :P) care about the figure skating, this was the only one i watched and it's bc the outfit caught my attn.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I didn't see it. Is it on the internet somewhere?
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I heard they did it in black face. THAT would be offensive.
    Anonymous

• They did NOT do it in black face. They are white.
    Anonymous

• The costumes that they used last night were not considered as offensive as the ones they wore in the world championships, the talk is about the world championships because they wore a much darker tone and a lot more body paint, and red. The issue is that their costumes violate rules of aboriginal ceremonial dances, and the music and dancing also didn't match even last night, but their modifications were acceptable to the canadian aboriginals.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• You can look it up on Youtube. Like I said figure skating kind of limits what moves you can do. I can understand if the costume was offensive. But if its the moves themselves they have to take into consideration what limits the skaters have.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I heard on the news that the Aboriginal tribes are very prideful of their heritage and they felt offended due to the inaccuracy of the dress and felt as if the dance itself was mocking them.
    I don't know what tribe, nor did I see them skate.
    nacherluver

Answer by nacherluver at 9:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It was more a misunderstanding than anything. The skaters were inspired and did a routine that was inspired by it, but it wasn't supposed to be an exact copy. They inadvertantly offended as the aboriginals thought they were being mocked and there was some violation in their eyes. It seems once it was cleared up, apologies made, explanations given, and alternations made it was acceptable.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2010