How can I get my 8 yr old to stop lying?!

Recently my 8 yr old has begun lying A LOT... i've tried a lot of different things to try to get her to stop. She always tells me that she is going to stop or try to lie less. The strange thing is is that my husband and I are very forward and honest people. I need advice. PLEASE

firehoney

Asked by firehoney at 8:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe she lies because she is afraid she'll get in trouble. Someone told me once that lying is directly correlated to bad and/or low self-esteem. Maybe she's ashamed of the truth which is why she has to lie. She wants to feel better about herself and not let others know the truth about herself. Like when people lie about their successes because they aren't as successful as they would like to be perceived. etc. Counseling might help her.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• try to reward her when she tells u the truth. let her kno ahead of time that you will be doing so. if she comes forward with something she did that she wasnt suposed to do, explain to her why what she did was wrong, dish out a punishment, but then say "since you told me upfront instead of trying to hide it, lets cut the punishment to..." fill in the blank. telling her not to lie while ur upset about the situation isnt going to make her want to be honest. good luck. and i kno what i said is not the best advice. but i hope it works
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my dad invented the lie detector with us. He got a pair of jumper cables and showed them to us and said he was going to clip em on our fingers and if we lie it will shock us. After hearing what would happen of course we fessed up the truth....you could try it if nothing else works and if you want a good laugh...i come from a cruel family.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Tell her the next time she lies that the dr told you there was a series of 10 shots she will have to get and it will make her stop lying. Tell her she will get one every week for 10 weeks and they put the needle under your finger nail!!!! LOL white lie to better her
    Anonymous

• Punish her every time you catch her. She'll catch on eventually.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2010