How do you gently explain something to a man?

Our car recently broke down and it is having transmission troubles! I used to sell cars at a Ford dealership here and I had to learn how to trouble shoot problems on a car. When it first messed up I told him that the transmission needed rebuilt. He didn't believe me and wanted me to do a minor repair to it. I did what he wanted cause I didn't want him to feel like less of a man but three months later it messed up again! Now I am calling all the transmission shops and getting quotes. They all agree that the transmission needs rebuilt! However, my husband still believes that it is nothing major and a minor fix will do the trick! How do I get it across to him that if we don't fix it right it will cost us a hell of a lot more later and that he is wrong on this one?

cgonzales542

Asked by cgonzales542 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• The very first thought I had upon reading your question was, "Wrap some flannel around your baseball bat before you pound him with it." **grin**

Take him to the shop. Have the MECHANIC explain it. Perhaps with a wrench applied about the head and shoulders.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• take it to the mechanic that's what we do.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• You need to be blunt men don't do gentle, tell him that you are rebuilding the transmission because if you don't it will cost a fortune and be a huge hassle, that he is not a mechanic, and isn't familiar with this type of thing.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• uhmmm watch My Cousin Vinnie and do what Marisa Tomai's character did? Good good movie about the ego of the main character, Vinnie.

Just present him with the facts, is what I do, and let him realize on his own that you're right. He will. He won't admit you're right. But you'll feel good cuz you knew what the problem and solution was even though hubby found it in his own time.

That's what I learned to do. Pick and choose my battles.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Gdiamante you just made my day!!! That is too funny!!!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I don't do gentle. I'm the one who knows cars so he knows to leave it up to me. The first time an issue with the car came up he knew he had no knowledge of vehicles as far as how they work and knew that I pretty much grew up in my dad and uncle's auto shop so it was never an issue.
    Anonymous

• Take him to one of those places and have a man tell him to satisfy his dumbass lol
    Anonymous

• Good luck on that! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 9:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My dh is a stubborn man and at times is more apt to believe someone else over me. I just find things that are concrete evidence that tell what I'm trying to say. Sometimes its info on the internet, other times its people we know.
    Anonymous