Concerned

I work at a place that has recently started an after school program for kids from 6-8, and we have this one child that almost on a daily basis wets herself. The director at the program has spoke to the girls mother numerous times about this, and the mother doesnt seem to be a bit concerned that her 7 year old is wetting herself so often "Oh she has a small bladder" or "shes just a nervous kid" its been 7 weeks now and she is still doing this. They have even started taking her to the restroom as soon as she gets there and every hour on the hour that she is there.. Now, over the last two weeks on 4 seperate occasions there has been feces found in the floor of the class room, one day there was a single "turd" in the sandbox and 3 more times in the corner! They are not positive that the same girl is responsible, (which makes me wonder how they could miss a child poohing in the corner)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• SECOND PART--- If this is the same child I feel there are some problems, she is often the last one picked up and cries that she doesn't want to leave.. Now I am not directly involved in the after school program so I'm not sure how to go about seeking out help for this child but the "teachers" nor her mother seem to think there is a serious problem here... Now I'm sorry but a 7 year old peeing her pants and possibly poohing in the corner seems to be waving a BIG RED FLAG to me! SO my question is...What would you do since I don't work with her directly I'm not sure if I should butt my nose in maybe I'm just reading toom uch into this or what I just don't feel its normal so what would you do????
    Anonymous

• well does she not have issues at school also? Maybe she is a special needs child? If so then the mother cant expect someone that is keeping up with (how many ever others) to also pay that special attention to her special needs child...thats selfish of the mother.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I was in a similar situation with a neighbor child. My aunt said to me "someone needs to be a voice for that child and that someone is you". I can't say what ever came of it, but I did what my heart and gut told me to do. That's what you need to do. All it is is an anonymous call to child services. At least you'll know you tried. Poor child, it brakes my heart wondering what is going on that a 7 year old would have that behavior...
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon at 6. Call CPS ASAP! Your instincts are right on. Something must be going on. It's insane behavior. Small bladder my butt. More like neglect or abuse.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Not sure what kind of job you have, but if it's anything that has to do with daycare or such I do believe that makes you a mandatory reporter - meaning if you know about it, and don't call CPS or whatever you have in your state/county, and someone else does, you could be in a bit of trouble for not reporting it. Call, please, for the sake of that poor child - it's all a sign of possible abuse of any kind!
    Anonymous

• I would agree that something is definitely not right. Unfortunately, they probably can't prove anything by the bowel and bladder problems alone. I agree, make an anonymous call and just tell child services you're concerned. They'll check and maybe find something. ALso, keep your eyes peeled for any other signs. Good luck! You might save this girls life!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I agree that there is something not right about the behavior; there could be a physical reason for her wetting at that age though given her behavior when it comes to going home and her mother's reluctance to do anything about it leads me to believe the issue is emotionally. You should contact child services, you could leave your name or even make an anonymous tip. Explain everything that you've explained here and they will investigate the child's home life. My 5 year old has been having issues with wetting herself during the day which I believe comes from the emotional abuse of her father and his girlfriend, though she spends very little time with her father now so she has been getting better and she was recently diagnosed with epilepsy, she has a mild form and does not have full body seizures but its enough to attribute to the wetting and occasional spasms she has.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2010