Geologic Time line

We know without doubt that there were millions of years of creation prior to our current era. We know that there were plants and animals in existence then there aren't today. We also know that there were different types of plants and animals in each prehistoric era.

According to Biblical Creation when god made the earth, animals and plants he saw that they were "good." Why then did he have a need to create different species for each separate era and kill off all those prior? Was it like a try and try again type of deal?

I've always wondered how Creationists beliefs explained the different eras of existence prior to this one... I know many believe the Dinosaurs died off in "the flood." But that answer doesn't answer the complete extinction of multiple eras full of existence prior to the Cretaceous Period (which was the last prior to current era).

Honest question...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My in-laws are New Earth/ Young Earth Christians. They believe that man and dinosaurs existed at the same time and the Bible doesn't make it clear as a test of faith. OR they have also posited that the devil put the dinosaur bones in the ground to tempt the faithful.

They view science as a religion that is antithetical to the Bible and dismiss geology, genetics, and many other scientific studies that controvert their faith. However, they are big believers in modern medicine, so I guess they get to pick and choose on this? IDK-- we have a no discussion of religion rule in the family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Dinosaur bones were put in the earth by the devil to test us.
    Anonymous

• Dinosaur bones is another one of Satan's tricks? hmmm I disagree. I believe that God created the earth, but I don't know if I buy the whole bible creation story. I think it's probably wrong since it was story passed down for generations over thousands of years until men developed the written language. Anyway... I believe that there is a God that created this earth and the creatures in it. Once they were created they were left to their own devices. Survival of the fittest, evolution and what-not.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Figures... there is scientific proof of something and it's excused away by 'satanic tricks'. lol.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• A well educated Young Earth Creationist would tell you this: the atmosphere prior to the flood was higher in humidity and the entire climate was more tropical, thus it was an ideal climate for the dinosaurs, which being reptiles needed a warm, fairly humid environment. The sudden and extreme climate shift after the flood which wiped out most of the Earth's early population was most likely too much for the dinosaurs to deal with and adapt to, and so they slowly died off. As to the "geologic time scale", well, I will refer you to a site that has more room than I do to explain the objections Young Earth Creationists have to the "geologic time scale":http://www.allaboutcreation.org/geologic-time-scale.htm.  This site is pretty much an Intelligent Design/Young Earth site, so it has all their info and arguments on it about everything.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• The Universe and everything that contains within is the creation of the One True God and they all worship God too. All of these are Signs of God's Existance to the who believe and left for us to reflect upon the Greatness of our Creator.. Dinosaur bones were NOT put by Satan! Again, Islam teaches that reason and beneficial knowledge should not be negated!
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 11:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I just don't understand why so many things are left up to "FAITH!!!!" but then when it comes to science, everything must be bent and changed to fit the bible's history. The history in the bible was concurrent to that tiny little geographical area, not the entire earth. Funny how some people in America base their history off of the Middle East.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Oh, and muhajjirah, just thought you should know...I totally love the Muslim religion because it's so respectful =) I know a lot of Muslim women on here and ya'll are all just the nicest ladies.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I don't know why things become extinct, my faith allows for scientific reasoning.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We know without doubt that there were millions of years of creation prior to our current era.
    --------------
    I don't agree with the 'without doubt' part. If you allow for an earthwide flood as detailed in the Bible is throws the whole dating system out and reduces dating in millions of years to just hundreds of thousands or even thousands of years.

I don't have a clue how to answer the rest of your question. All I know is we are told all we need to know.
    Greymulkin

Answer by Greymulkin at 6:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2010