Reversing our roles?

Hubby and I have been married for ten years. For the last six I have been the primary care-giver to our children, while he has worked full-time and provided primary support for our family. (I have always worked part-time, but only 2 days a week.) Well we are considering doing a complete role reversal. I will be going to work full-time and providing primary support, while he will become a stay-at-home dad and take care of the house and the kids. We home-school, so he will also be taking care of the majority of their education. We have discussed this at some length, and he does understand that if I am working full-time he will be responsible for laundry, dishes, paying bills, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc... pretty much everything I do now that he avoids like the plague. If you are a stay at home mom, would you consider trading places with your hubby? How would your kids react to suddenly being stuck with dad all day?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• No I would not. cuz I know even if we talk about him, my hubby will not stick to his end of the bargain. He would see it as a free ride eventually and stop doing is part. it does that crap all the time.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• it not him and he not it! lol
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My dd's bf is Mr Mom now and they all love it especially their son. He's good at it, she's not.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would but my husband is also an over the road truck driver and our kids don't see him much, so if I could do something to make that possible I sure would! I would love for him to get to be with the kids more and it would make it easier for me to go to work if I knew they were with their dad. I think that's awesome that your kids get a chance to be with their father and that he's willing to do it.
    Anonymous

• My sister is a teacher and she has two months off in the summer. Her hubby is a weed abatement guy, so he is laid off 5 months in the winter. So they take turns being the SAHParent.
    When her husband is home, she still does 80% of the work. Meaning she does all the cooking and most of the cleaning. He does do some of the laundry and running the kids around.
    I don't think I would switch with my dh if I had the choice. My guy is not very domestic. He does help around the house, if I tell him exactly what needs to be done and exactly how to do it. I know our house would be a disaster and we would all get fat on mac n cheese and hot dogs.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• After im done with school my SO will be going, so we will be doing a role reversal! hes good at everything but cooking so I would still handle that, but i dont mind the idea, i would rather work than be home all day,
    Anonymous

• I would be ok with it BUT he would suck doing it! Especially if he had to homeschool there is no way. I would love tpo reverse roles for a few weeks and see how he likes it! LOL I am now a FT student so even more juggling to the mix!
    Anonymous

• Being a stay-at-home mom was never a goal of mine. It was never something I had planned on, or wanted to be. However, since I've been fortunate enough to stay home with my kids 5 days a week, I've discovered that I love it. Not the housework, cooking and so forth, but the spending unlimited time with my family. I love my kids and I love watching them grow and learn. That's going to be the hardest part of going back to work full time for me. I have complete confidence in my husband that he can take care of our house, and take care of our kids, and make sure they are learning everything they need to know. But it's going to be so hard for me to not be there with them all the time like I am now.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Could he go back to what he was doing before if it doesn't work out? I'd give it a shot. You might have to help him set up a schedule to get the house cleaned and cooking done, if your children are old enough definitely delegate some of the responsibility to them as well.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 10:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Personally it wouldn't work for me because I just couldn't imagine missing that much of my children's lives. I worked until my oldest was 10 months old and it killed me! I was miserable every minute away from him. My DH doesn't have that attachment to our children! He's content seeing them in the evenings and most weekends (he's a hunter and during season he's gone most of it when he's off). I also home school and I couldn't imagine him doing it! He did help the other day with math and a science lesson! but I do everything else you listed that my DH also avoids! I just couldn't imagine him "stepping up to the plate" to do it and I couldn't imagine missing my boys :o( So I guess my answer is no, I wouldn't.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010