How long would it take you to forgive if this was said?

On Saturday my so and I got into a big fight and he said the following. "I'm keep her, (refering to our 8 yr old) cuz I sure as HELL ain't gonna have her turn out like you!!!"
He then left for work. About 2 hrs later I get a call saying my so is headed to the hosp. with what he thought was a heart attack. It turned out to be only a severe anxiety attack, thank god. After he was released from the hosp. he came home and sincerely appologised. I said I forgave him, however I'm still SEVERELY hurt over him saying that.
I know I'm not perfect and all, but I do keep a clean house, keep up after our child and my other 2, plus cook and all the necessary household stuff. I do not work because we only have one vechicle and he is on call 24/7, he's a maintence manager.
How long would it take you to truly forgive your hubby/so if he said something like that to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• My ex used to say this about me all the time. This is one of the many reasons I am no longer with him.
    I do hope my girls turn out like me. I just hope my son doesn't turn out like HIM.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 10:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If I thought he said it only in anger I would take his apology at face value. We have all said something in anger that we wish we could take back. I would try to cut him some slack.
    If he keeps acting like a jerk, then I wouldn't forgive easily, if it was a one time thing, let it go.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with sleepingbeautee.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• People say things out of anger that they don't mean. My husband and myself have had our fair share of that. I'm sure he wishes that he could take it back as much as you wish it didn't hurt anymore. He said he was sorry, so maybe asking him what made him say that would help you let it go. I'm sure he didn't mean it and it kind of makes me wonder if you said anything hurtful to him to make him come back with something hurtful to you? I wouldn't waste my energy being upset about it if he said he was sorry, it's not worth it, life is too short.
    Anonymous

• One time. You let it go and that's on you to do it. If it happens again, it's on you for dealing with him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• The man stressed over it enough to have what he thought was a heart attack. Cut him some slack. He said it in the heat of anger and apologized. Do you want him to go ahead and have a heart attack before you forgive him? I dont' think so. Life is too short for this petty crap. It's over. Move on

Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• About an hour... If I knew I was a great mom then I would know that he simply said it in anger. Let it go.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'm a forgiving person, especially if dh is sincere in his apology. I have a hard time letting go if he's not sincere and he said something hurtful
    Anonymous

• I've said things to my boyfriend out of anger that I almost immediately wished I could take back and he's said some pretty mean things to me too. We forgive quickly when things are said during a fight.
    Anonymous

• Rotten things get said in the heat of anger. I wouldn't stay mad too long over that one honestly. Sounds like he was having a bad day.
    Anonymous