Do your children sleep on the same level as you, and if you had the option, would you do sleeping arrangements differently? Dowstairs? Upstairs?

I have two boys right now, little ones. One is 2 1/2 and the other is 15 months. They are great sleepers (so far!). My husband and I are deciding on a floorplan that is best for us now and in the future. I think I would be OK with them sleeping downstairs in a couple years, but I am wondering if we should include a second full bath upstairs.

lacer777

Asked by lacer777 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• twin boys, 13 months old upstairs, and 2 1/2 yr old daughter same level. I don't like it, but there's not enough room in the downstairs bedroom for our sons, and upstairs is a loft with a a gate at the top of the stairs. something will eventually have to train with potty training etc.
    Anonymous

• I would keep them near, think about emergencies, like a fire. You need to be able to get to them quickly and have a plan on how you're going to get them out of the house, especially from the top floor. I don't like two story houses for this reason, I prefer a single level home. If I could avoid it, I wouldn't even do a split floor plan until they were capable of getting out of the house on their own, but I'm extra paranoid. Break ins are another fear of mine, with my kids being too far away from my bedroom.
    Anonymous

• I love same level sleeping. My son sneaks in our room less, goes to bed easier and it overall a better layout for him. I used to have him sneaking in all the time, calling down the stairs to us, just not sleeping well.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 9:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Same level def. but having an extra bathroom upstairs adds value to the home!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my SKs 9 and almost 6 and my daughter is almost 20 months old. All their rooms are upstairs. My SO and I's bedroom is downstairs. My daughter was down stairs in a different room until a few months ago. We moved her up because we redid the room she was in and then we knew we would have to move her soon anyway because the room we re-did was too small.

I like the set up okay. I am not sure what would be better. My SKs seem to have issues going and playing upstairs unless they have cousins over, but I think that would be better if they were here more. my daughter goes up and down the stairs by herself with no problems and doesn't have issues playing by herself.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We're moving into our new house and the boys will be upstairs at 3 1/2 and 20 months. Parts of me wishes we are on the same level but then other parts are glad to have the downstairs so we can be adults after they go to bed. (They're realllllllllllly light sleepers). The playroom will be upstairs but there's enough space for me to have my computer in there and work during the day, if needed, so fingers crossed!
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My kids are 20,20,15, and almost 13.
    My boys (oldest 2 and youngest) sleep upstairs. My girl (the 15 yr old) sleeps in the original master bedroom downstairs. Our master suite is at the back of the house downstairs. This has been our arraingment for close to 15 yrs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2010