Changed my mind about C-Section

So since i had a c section the first time i pretty much decided i would do that again. However lately Im thinking i want to have this baby as a VBAC. Im terrified, but i dont want to ride the couch for weeks after a c Section ESP because this isnt my first. I go to the OB wednesday and I wanna tell him then, but im just not positive what i want to do. SO doesnt have a big opinion on the matter this time, hes kinda like its your body sooo, you do what you need to! What should i do anyone change their minds before delivery? Im due in about 6 weeks!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My first was a scheduled C-section. It was as good an experience as you can have with a C-section. No complications, recovery went well, I was out and about (carefully) about a week after having my baby, didn't need the pain meds at home except at night.

My second was a VBAC. And even though my C-section went as smoothly as possible, the VBAC was still 100x better. I was back to 100% in a matter of days instead of weeks. It made it so much easier to care for my active toddler after the birth, and since my baby had to be in the NICU for 10 days, it was a lot easier to drive myself back and forth to the hospital than it would have been if I'd had a C-section. I did tear, but not much, and honestly it was more discomfort than pain; the abdominal cramping the first couple of days was worse than the vaginal pain. And sex hasn't been any different.

Feel free to message me with any questions regarding either. HTH! :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my mom had 3 vbacs. personally, i'd try it. i've only had vaginal births so i'm terrified of c-sections! ;)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 9:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'd try for a VBAC if I were you. The most you can do is ask your doctor! Good luck!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My first C section was unplanned, after being induced and going through 10 hours of contractions.....and only dialating 1 cm we decided C section. I went with a C section for my second pregnancy (twin boys) because I was confident that I wasn't going to dialate or soften (sure enough, didn't dialate or have contractions and my cervix never softened AT ALL).
    I'll tell you C section #1 it took 6 weeks like they say to fully recover from it. It was horrible to say the least.
    C section #2 was PHENOMINALLY BETTER! They put something in my spinal called DuraMorph? You can't feel your incision for 24 hours! Seriously, it was the best stuff ever, and it took LESS THAN 2 weeks to recover, INCLUDING my hospital stay.....
    So, because your body has been through it once, and you know what your getting yourself into now, it would be a whole lot better than your first one!
    I'd opt for VBAC if I was able to deliver normally though :) GL!
    Anonymous

• OP:::Thanks!! Question how long did it take to heal? Did you have to get stitches for your vaginal birth? Was sex weird or different after?
    Anonymous

• Make sure you know why you had a c-section the first time. I had a c-section the first time but didn't know know why it was required until i had to have a second one after trying a VBAC. I could have saved a lot of time if I'd known that my insides were just too small. (Ironically, you wouldn't have known that from looking at the outside...lol). My second Dr. informed me of this and made sure I knew not to ever try a VBAC again. (No problem, since that was the last anyway.) At any rate...just know your situation.
    marshalynn67

Answer by marshalynn67 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If you are afraid of tearing, talk with your OB about birthing in a position other than lying in bed. Birthing in bed puts a great deal of strain on the perineum and it actually can make the pelvic opening about 2 inches smaller because of the position of the body against the bed.

You may want to bring in a midwife who is experienced in VBAC care to assist you. A doula would also be great.

ICAN has great resources for women seeking VBACs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I encourage moms to go for safety first ( = VBAC), but while you're heading for a natural experience, you can also know that you can REALLY enjoy it, having a blissful natural experience without adding risks.
    After my vaginal birth I was up and about asap, no stitches (my 10-pounder practically "fell" out of me!! lol!)

I think it helps to have a lot of help to do this. How is your partner/husband?
    Will you have a doula?
    I do have a lot of suggestions and info and ideas, but these little boxes are too small, lol! Let me know (message) if you want ot talk more!
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would definitely encourage a VBAC. According to some sources, you can actually cause more problems the more C-sections you have. Re the poster who had an easier second section, that definitely doesn't necessarily mean it will be your experience. Everyone's body is different, and you could end up having a harder time the second time around. Also, a vaginal deliver is better for baby (which is why your body was made to do it that way!). Obviously, if you end up needing a c-section for your babies safety, that you absolutely do what you need to do, but I encourage you to try for the VBAC. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i ha d aemergency csection the first time because i stopped dialating and the doc said i was just too small for her to come out....a few months a go i found myself in the same situation you are. just remember the pros and cons of csection vs vaginal. my biggest fear was uterine rupture which rarely happens, i had a gut feeling just to go with the scheduled csection. well now my daughter is 2 months old and id have to say i made the right descision....during my opeation my OB seen that my uterous was trying to open back up on the old scar...so im very lucky i didnt go for VBAC. because things would have been ugly. Good luck hun! add me and message me if ya want...
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 4:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2010