In your opinion what makes a "good" preschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know, it depends on the teacher to me. My son goes to a Christian preschool and is on his second teacher. His first teacher was amazing, he followed her rules and was learning so much. They hired a new teacher because she got a better job offer and I can't stand this teacher. If it wasn't for my son loving playing with his friends so much, I would pull him. He's not learning as much and it doesn't appear that she has these kids under control. I think it was a poor choice of a teacher and a very rushed decision. It was a great preschool until then. That is a hard question to answer. I just think as long as they're going to teach your child morals and your child can learn with the way that they teach, it should be fine.
    Anonymous

• Patient, interactive, not burned out teachers. very enthusiastic. Real curiculuum (sp?), goals/mini milestones, celebrations, respect and problem solving strategies, added programs (swimming, arts, field trips) to supplement, abcs, calendar, numbers to 100 counted and written, name writing, address and phone number memorized and written. 4's program.
    Anonymous

• Oh and singing and days of the week!
    Anonymous

• my son goes to la petite and i love it hes so smart, and he has his friends and his teachers he likes. they are so good with the children every week its a diff topic in his class
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• well an open door policy. A happy medium of play and learning. A teacher that will instill of love of learning.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Age appropriate approach to early education. Certified teachers. Open lines of communication between parents and teachers. Happy kids - take a tour. If they kids are learning and loving it - it's a good school.

Kids this age learn best through experiential learning - not worksheets and your typical 'school' trappings. They can learn an amazing amount of skills simply through role play, hands on exploration, etc. This approach often gets wrongly labeled "Learn through play." It's so much more than "play." My two are now 7 and 5. They are both advanced in school. They didn't see a flashcard or worksheet at home or preschool. They learned to count, add, subtract, read....all through hands-on opportunities. They both also learned some basic sign language, weather, seasons, other science topics, history, etc through the same.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2010