Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Filing for child support

My daughter's father and I just recently broke up. I moved to my mother's so that I could "get back on my feet". So I now live in South Carolina and my daughter's father lives in Georgia. I need financial stability and I think I should file for child support. I am looking for a job in SC now, but I don't know if I should wait until I have a job before I file for the child support...any advice would be great.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • No you will be okay, you can file now because sometimes it takes a while for them to get you in for a support hearing. Even if you dont have a job and want to be fair, they can base your income on what you are capable of earning, that is what they did for me. Also if you file now, they will ask you if you want to back date the support from when you filed or if you wish to start it from the support hearing date. Best of luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • No you should file immediately. generally if you have no income, here i believe they try to base it off of a "potential" income. also, you could have the CS modified once you have the job.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • if you file now you will get more, they cannot change it for three years (at least in mo) without you or him putting in a change for modification for support.

    Answer by angevil53 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • No don't wait file now.. ask for a fee waiver from the court fees.. child support is based on the person who will be paying income most courthouses have sample motions you can look at.. I filed my own modification for support it was easy.. there should be a state attorney that helps people get support.. try to find out his work & home address, car info, social security number, birthdate this will help..

    Answer by maiahlynn at 10:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • File right away. The sooner you get your hearing the better things will get for you financially. CS can be modified if he requests it once you have a job. Maybe your get lucky and he won't

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.