I have the flu, what should I do with my child?

I normally sleep with him, he is not a very good sleeper, so I sleep either holding him or with him in my bed, but I have the flu, been on meds since friday but I am still coughing. DH been up with him every night but tonight he has to sleep bc he has to go back to work. If we lay him in the crib, he is up in 5 mins. Any advice? Should I just go ahead and sleep with him?

kenywoodsmom08

Asked by kenywoodsmom08 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would keep my distance from him in case he catches something. i know u would feel horrible if u realized u got him sick. can u sleep on the couch? pile a mountin of pillows around him on the bed..pile of blankets...worse case in his crib and let him cry and go see him when your mama intutions tell u to. or call his name so he at least knows your still there.. flu stinks i was there when my son was 3 months old.i did my mama duties but at a distance and no face to face contact..also tons of hand washing! i hope u feel better soon..xoxoxo
    Anonymous

• I sorta disagree with that..you can still sleep with him. You can't be overly worried that your baby will get sick, if he does it's not big thing it will build up his immune system which is very good. Ive been sleeping with my son since he was born and its been 6 months...he wont sleep in the crib either. Ive had a horrible flu, temperature of 103.3 and still had him in bed with me, and he was just fine. Dont make yourself more miserable, you are sick, you need the most sleep you can get now as it is. dont sweat it, just have him in bed with you.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If you're breastfeeding, just keep doing what you're doing! If you're not...see if someone can take him for a day or two.
    Anonymous

• I should add that I am breastfeeding and he is only 5 weeks old.
    kenywoodsmom08

Answer by kenywoodsmom08 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Since you are breastfeeding there is no problems. Your milk will protect your baby. If your baby gets sick it should be very mild. It's too late to avoid exposure, you were contagious before you even knew you were sick.

This is a situcation where you can be really, really proud and glad you are breastfeeding. A 5 week old formula fed baby can die from the flu. The baby could get pneumonia, RSV, or other infections once it had the flu.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Breastfeed and go ahead and sleep with him.. If you were FF I'd suggest otherwise, but BF'ing will really help to protect him better than anything else. Plus a sneeze/cough travels HUGE distances. The droplets/flu are all over your house at this point - likely in his crib too. Your baby will either get sick or not. If he does he'll have a much better chance of not getting dehydrated and getting over the illness much faster if you breastfeed on demand. If that means co-sleeping do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Please please be careful! My baby girl just had RSV at 7 weeks & was in the hospital.. RSV is just like a cold for adults but can be deadly for babies. My daughter is also breastfed which they claim makes it harder to get RSV. Please just be very cautious. Wash hands often, try not to breathe directly on baby, etc.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Do what you've got to do. First of all, he's already been exposed. Secondly, you're breastfeeding, so he's at least got some antibodies to your illness.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2010