Schools spying on students at home through laptops?

What the hell is going on? Have you seen this on the news??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587034,00.html?test=latestnews

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 10:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i did! it's crazy, but it struck me funny that they're using a picture from the webcam that they're using to spy on the kids to, what is it? prosecute a parent for disciplining a child? what craziness is that??? i'd be more worried about the spying!
    Anonymous

• wow i just read your link and it's a different story. now they're saying it might be drugs? the one i read the other day said they were disciplining a child wrong or something...
    Anonymous

• I'm not 100% sure what exactly is going on, but what I heard is that the one kid got in trouble at school for supposed drug use at home (he was eating Mike & Ike candies......). The school claimed to have a picture of him taking the alleged drugs. Now that the cat is out of the bag about the cameras, the school is claiming that the webcams are for security, in case the laptops are lost or stolen. And in case the poor children get into a "dangerous situation" then they can get help, somehow. The school is defending the webcams all the way. I believe that the schools are way out of line in this, for whatever my opinion is worth.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I heard about this, the school is actually around my area..A lot of the girls were upset because they would leave the computer on and open in there room when changing and etc..This is such a violation of basic rights..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am concerned about this. I understand the need to protect children, I understand if there is a belief that something illegal is going on they should go through the proper channels and seek a warrent. But to activate a laptop camera and spy on the family is heinous. It is a crime befitting the KGB and German Nazism. We need to draw a line in the sand and fight this.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• start calling the city FU__ED up Philly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• This is a blatant violation of the student's and the family's fourth ammendment rights under the Constitution of the United States. "The right of the people to be secure in their homes..." They might get them for illegal wiretapping and/or listening devices. In Philly of all places, where the constitution was signed. The parents of the students should sue the school out of existence, making it an object lesson for all other schools not to do the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The FBI is investigating from what I've read. What the school did is illegal and immoral.

It doesn't matter what the kid was doing, the spyware wasn't disclosed, and anything they recorded isn't admissible in court.

This is no different than a school official peeping through your bedroom window with a camera in hand.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2010