is it healthy to lose this much in a week?

is losing 1.5 lbs a week reasonable? is that healthy or what? i want to lose at LEAST 15lbs by the time my hubby is back home. thats in 16 weeks! but most of all I want to lose 10 lbs before hubby's graduation which is in 9 weeks.

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 12:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 1-2 pounds per week is healthy, just watch out for plateau's, make sure you vary your workouts so that your body doesnt get used to doing the same thing day in and day out. Changing it up every two weeks works well :) Good luck.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Generally speaking, losing between 1-2 pounds a week is considered "healthy" or safe. However, especially at first, some of what you lose may be water weight. Try to combine diet and exercise to most effectively lose weight within your desired time frame (for example, since you need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat, cut out at least 250 calories from your diet and burn at least 250 calories through exercise daily to lose about a pound in a week, a little more so to lose more than a pound a week). Good luck:)
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 12:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Yes, it is reasonable. My Mom did it, she lost about 50 lbs. in less than 6 mos. Not sure if that equals a pound a week but she was fine. Honeslty, though, as a nation, most of us should be worried about how much weight we're gaining, not losing. If it's unhealthy you will know, you will pass out or what not.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• when first starting a diet or weight loss program it isnt bad to lose a little more sometimes up to 5 in a week....but generally your not really suppose to go over 1-2

if you really want to lose weight pretty quickly, dont eat bread ( sliced, buns, rolls,etc), potatoes, or pasta ---those are all my favorite foods but I quit ( I still eat other "breads" just not the ones I said) ...and I sitll lost weight...within a few days I lost 5 pounds and this is going on my 3rd week and I am going on 17 pounds ( and I have cheated a few times lol )

my friend started last january and by last just she had lost 60 pounds...she went to her DR once a month and she was fine !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I meant by June
    glamomomo

• 1-2 is ideal goal per week.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• one to two pounds a week is healthy. Any more than that you're not loosing fat but muscle mass and you'll gain it back before too long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2010