Do you think what we consider 'fat' has changed?

They say that the clothing sizes of women have changed to make us feel less fat and better about buying them. Example: my friend wears a modern size 0 and buys vintage dresses from the 50's and 60's that are sized 8, 9 and even 10! People talk about how thin women are on shows like the Bachelor, etc. and those women just look normal sized! It is commonplace to go out to eat and see massively obese people everywhere. Do you think we're all so fat that we don't even notice it anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• hahahahahaaa! really? come on! people being big is still an issue with themselves and others.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Well the vintage clothes may not be standard American sizes and may be European or other. Although I do think we have become a bit desensitized because there is fat and obese people everywhere!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• obviously people are "fatter" now... and being "fat" is more"in"... I think most men even prefer bigger girls now ....

glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Oh we notice we cant help but notice and everytime you turn around there is someone who is more than willing to point out how big you are. Yes dress sizes have changed and that drives me nuts I also think the fact that we think stick thin is healthy and sexy is sad. It used to be that women with small waist but ample hips were considered desireable, women with meat on them were considered healthy. I think what we consider normal or acceptible changes from generation to generation.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/10/attitudes.overweight/index.html

No, this article shows that retailers have scaled down sizes to make women feel better about fitting into a smaller size. That's why stores now have 0 and 00!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No, and i don't think the women on the bachelor are considered 'normal'...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• yes it has changed in acient history women were supposed to be heavy. the painter ruben painted what were at the time beautiful ladies the are fat by todays standards, in the old movies mae west was sexy she would be considered over weight now/ in the 60s the stick thin models became popular.
    as for the reality shows they did a survey and the average women on a reality show is a size 4. how many size four women do you know.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 1:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I dunno I'm plus sized and never really had a problem. I carry myself in a confident manner and that generally attracts people to me. I don't go around bitching about being fat. I might joke with my friends, but um yeah, I am pretty hot. I have a pretty nice rack too...sooo I could careless if someone accepts me...the important men in my life think I'm hot lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The average size in America is a modern day 16. I would say women on the bachelor are far from normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I also wanted to add that my best friend is getting married next year and we just picked out her wedding dress. She needed a size "0" with a corset back so we can pull it a half size smaller than a 0 to fit her because she's a tiny women.

She has had to WORK...LONG AND HARD to get to this weight. She was extremely under weight in high school despite the fact that she ate everything in site and it's been very difficult for her to get to her current size.

If she was a "0" from a few decades ago she would be DEAD because she would be so small there wouldn't be anything left of her. Her bones stick out as it is and her doctor says she'll need to gain another 10-15 pounds before she'll be able to concieve children because her body doesn't have enough fat!

I think it has nothing to do with "fat people," it has to do with health and how bodies are today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2010