what are some discipline tecniques for my 8 year old going on 18

my son who is about to turn 9 has suddenly morphed into this person that i have no idea who he is. He flys off the handle at any and everything but chalks it up to I had a bad day. when we try to discuss what the bad day was about he goes silent. is this just a phase, please someone tell me it's a phase

MoMoBear

Asked by MoMoBear at 1:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you think hes being bullied? im not trying to be negative, just trying to think of ways why he would have a bad day.. and discuss things with him and tell him he can tell you anything
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It just sounds like he is having trouble communicating his frustrations which I think is very typical for his age. Since he is old enough to write, I would try a journal (age appropriate of course). My daughter's school does this for discipline and it seems to work well. They have papers that are kind of fill in the blank when an issue arises. The child is responsible for filling it out, explaining what happened, how they are feeling and what they would do different next time. Maybe it would be easier for him to write it than say it? Just a suggestion. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would say something is bothering him. Kids usually don't just act like this for no reason. Ask his teachers, etc. It's probably something at school if nothing is happening at home.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• He doesn't sound like he's going on 18.. he sounds like there is something huge and bad going on in his life that he can't talk about and is trying to vent his anger somewhere else..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• have you thought about his hormones at all?? i also think something is happening that is effecting him. dont know but you need to find a way to get him to talk. maybe you need to talk to the teachers and see if there is something they are seeing..or not seeing going on!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• If you have asked everyway you can if something bad is going on, I would be suspecting hormone changes. Testerone is a very powerful thing, when my son was around 9 & 10, if he got cross he would get this surge, you could see it in his muscles & his jaw. He was angry, often teary, wasn't able to explain what was actually wrong. Sometimes he would say he felt shaky inside. If Dad is grumpy when he gets home, does he say "I've just had a bad day".. kids aren't silly, they know that means a million things have jumped on my brain & I can't see clear.
    We found it really helpful to have strong exercise available, & used it sort of like a teens time-out - get on the running machine, jump on your bike & go round the block, punch a punching bag, Run flat out to the corner & back. That used up the surge of energy flowing in him, & has become a great coping strategy when he is stressed & needs time out, as an older teen.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• He seems a little young for it, but maybe puberty is knocking on your door. Or yes, it could be something at school. But it does sound like something serious is going on in his head and he's fighting an internal battle. If he can't come to you about it, a trusted friend (adult) might help him out a bit. It seems typical in life because of his age and the lack of expressing oneself in the 'tween' years.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2010