Would you let your child walk to school all alone, even if it was a few blocks away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How old?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would not, and my daughter is 10. Maybe in a couple of years, but I just don't feel comfortable with it at her age and I don't think she is responsible enough and way too trusting of strangers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• If they had some other kids to walk with yes...not alone...too many kids get snatched within blocks of their homes
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• depends on her age
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my son yes at 15 ,my girl only if she had a brother ,if she was alone NEVER!
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• NOPE!!! you can leave them alone for a second and someone will snatch them.. ;[ I don't want 5 years to come.. because then he'll be in school.. and 10 years after that.. he'll wanna walk alone.. and I'll have to be the 'bad' mom to tell him no
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• depends on age, my 5 y/o gets dropped off then walks home with her brother (9y/o) and other neighbor kids, my sons (who were 11 and 8 at the time) walked together last year but if one was sick the other walked home alone, they normally walk with other kids on our block and the school is behind my house so the school yard connects to the sidewalk in front of my house 3 houses away and i am always in the driveway watching for them.

My 12 y/o walks to the school by himself (well actually not all alone there are 3 other kids on our street who walk at the same time he does) they all catch the bus at the school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• like i said only my boy,and at about 15,but hey he is like gold to me i treassure that boy.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My 11 and 7 yo sons walk home alone (2 1/2 blocks). My oldest started walking by himself when he was 8. My 7 yo isn't ready to walk by himself yet (the situation has come up when my older son is sick or away from school), so I drive him those days. They also have a couple friends that walk with them. I worry more about them crossing the street than being snatched. Not that it would never happen, but the chances of that vs being hit by a car are pretty slim. I actually read somewhere that in order for a child to be snatched by a stranger you'd have to leave them unattended outside for either 700 or 7000 years. That's how low the chances are. Most abductions are done by people they know.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• depends on age my daughter is 9 and she walks to school it is about 5 blocks
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 1:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2010