Can I host my own baby shower?

Either me or my husband. With DD, my mother waited untill the last minute saying oh, well do it this weekend....then, oh, well do it next weeked, untill finally 1 month before i gave birth, my MOTHER IN LAW did it. And she HATES ME! (the only reason she hosted it was because DH asked her to for my sake!) so i cant trust my mom to do it, and i have only one close friend who MIGHT do it, and my mother in laws was a disaster for me, but we got alot of stuff, so should i do it? (since i cant rely on anyone else?) or should i just do it..i think its rude, but i cant trust them to do it! Im due in Oct, so theres PLENTY of time. Just wondering.

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 3:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am not big on the "Meet the Baby" party thing. The last thing I wanted after having my son was lots of people passing him around and irritating me. :-) Sleep is what I wanted at that point. :-) I didn't have a traditional "Baby Shower" either, I had a "Baby BBQ" (My Brother-in-law hates that term) :-) I wanted everyone who was going to be a part of my son's life to come and celebrate this with us. I didn't ask for any presents, but everyone brought a little something. My son is the first boy on all sides so it was a good thing. Big items I had already bought and my mom bought alot of stuff because she is just that kind of grandma. :-) I say just have a party to celebrate a new addition, if someone wants to bring presents then so be it, if not then don't worry about it.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 11:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You can def. do it. It's not rude I know plenty of people who have done that. By the way I can't stand my mother in law either !! Shes evil : )
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 6:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Unless your other child is 10 years old or something you should not get another shower..Its kind of a tradition to get a shower for your first..I would do a meet the baby party after they are born some people will probably bring diapers and clothes.I think its tacky to want a baby shower for your second asking for big ticket items like car seats and crib etc.Your not due until October and your already worrying about having a shower..Save your money and buy things for yourself..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Normally, you should only have one traditional type shower - with your first. Any kids you have after that, you shouldn't have that sort of shower, BUT, it's ok to have a party to celebrate the new baby - often including the dad and other male family members if they want to come, and have a more non traditional sort of shower (more like a party, less like a shower). People will often bring gifts, but not big ticket items.

You should not be throwing it for yourself, but if you were, then honestly, you really need to go more with the contemporary, it's just a party to celebrate the baby sort of angle, it would be better for someone else to do it, but you could. But, if you want the more traditional baby shower sort of party, you should NOT be throwing that for yourself. It's very tacky.

Sorry, I know that's probably not what you were hoping for :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I just had a friend do this! She got so much crap and hardly ANYONE showed up. She has an 11 year old boy and just had another boy. Everyone was mad that she was even having a shower and then on the invites it said her hubby was throwing the shower for her. None of her aunts came, her mom and dad live in different states so they werent there. She invited 30 people and there were 8 of us there :-(
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 9:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• you sure can...
    I did my own..IT was fantastic lol..the only thing i didnt do was set up games...A friend offered to throw me one..then said i needed to give her money..SO i decided to do it my way if i was gonna pay the money lol..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:26 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• OH It was my second shower and i had already had a 2 year old girl..and was having my second girl..I sent all my family invites..they ALL lived in California and I lived in MD..THEY were kind enough to send gift cards :D EVERY BABY SHOULD GET A SHOWER imo....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I completely agree with sailorwifenmom. It's tacky to throw your own shower.... Especially for your 2nd or 3rd. It just seems greedy. I like the celebration party idea b/c its like you're saying, "Come celebrate our joy!" And not, "Come give gifts!"
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think it's in very bad taste to throw yourself a shower - especially since it isn't your first!!

Answer by missanc at 9:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Many think it is tacky to host your own. Have a get together after the baby. IMO, it is A LOT more fun. And yes, sometimes people will bring gifts for the Lo
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2010