Napping schedule

My LO is almost 4 months old and am trying to figure out how to get him on a napping schedule. I write down when he goes down for a nap on his own so I know when he's naturally tired. I figured this would help me figure out the best time for naps.

I'm still lost tho. This is my first baby and am not clear on how to actually get him to go down. I am NOT pro CIO so please no suggestions about that.

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my kids were that young, I'd always nurse them/give them a bottle before I put them down. I'd put them down asleep, even though people say not too, and i've managed to get them out of the "being asleep" when I put them down phase.
    My SIL on the other hand would simply say "it's time for nap, i love you, go to sleep" and put my niece down. she'd wimper a little bit, but it was nothing like crying or screaming or anything.
    As for scheduling, I'd pick a time like 10am and 3pm and put her down, every day, at the same time and put her asleep at those times, or whatever you've found to be her regular "napping times". Each child is different. She may take more than 2 naps a day, and that's fine. But hold her out if you can so she knows it's not nap time yet. Play with her, make her laugh, tummy time, anything until she's exauhsted by the time you put her down, when you want to put her down.
    Good luck! xoxox
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 8:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I always put my kids down for their naps when they were awake. If they learn to soothe themselves to sleep, then they learn to soothe themselves back to sleep when they wake up in the middle of the night (ie they will sleep through the night sooner). But some of it depends on how you've been getting him to sleep at night. I started with mine when they were born, so I'm not really sure how to tell you to jump into a schedule, but at 4 months mine were still take 2-2 hour naps and 1 1 hour nap before bedtime at 8.

Answer by missanc at 9:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• 4 months is still early for a schedule. You can TRY to start one but generally they won't fall into a good schedule til 6 months when their nervous systems are good and calm.

Normally OLDER babies are tired 2 hours after waking.. and then around/after lunch-time.. and again before dinner..
    My son was napping in like 30 minute increments all over the map at 4 months. By 7 months, tho, he fell into a schedule where he napped three times around the same times.

Methods for sleep: Rock to sleep, nurse to sleep (I still do, works like a charm), put babies down drowsy but awake if they cry pick them up and repeat til they fall asleep and combine this with white noise/swaddling, swaddling, vibration, swings, white noise, car rides etc. Try varying methods but usually at 4 months if they will not fall asleep sometimes they're just not tired or are over-tired. It can be hard til their CNS fully calms down and schedules work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I don't like the phrase 'go down' for a nap. It sounds like you put the baby somewhere and the baby is supposed to sleep.

What is normal is for the baby to fall asleep at the end of nursings. Some of the times will be brief and some longer. If you are sitting or laying with the baby you can rest or try to gently lay the baby down. You can let the baby nap in a sling and do other things. It doesn't matter what time it is. Watch the baby not the clock.

Just when you think you have your baby figured out your baby will grow into another development phase and start doing things a little different. Most babies will fall asleep for car rides and if the baby is having problems with taking a nap because of teeting or some other irritatant you can try a car ride.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• missanc, what if that hadn't worked with your baby tho?

My son never would just go to sleep on his own for naps til 11 months old. And he still won't at night. I tried -everything- to not nurse to sleep but it works for us and he does NOT wake up in the night and hasn't since 7 months besides during growth spurts/teething. I think that's a myth that if they "can't fall asleep on their own" at night that they won't be able to go back to sleep during the night. I hear him kicking around on his monitor, sometimes groaning, but he goes back to sleep on his own.

He was a really wirey baby tho who did not take well to being put down at all. I think it depends on the baby..

If your baby tolerates being laid down on her own, try that, but if it doesn't work I don't think you are doomed if you comfort your baby to sleep =p I haven't been doomed.. it's worked out fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• And besides, don't a lot of babies need to wake to eat often through their first year?? They get distracted and stuff ?

If my son didn't nurse tons during the day I bet you anything he'd be waking up at night hungry.. not for other reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2010