SAHMs - Income Question

I am curious as to the average household income in a 1 income family that enables a mother to stay home and not have to work.

Please answer anonymously so everyone can feel comfortable and be honest.

It's my unscientific Cafe Mom study :-) so answer your income, your location, and your husband's occupation since that has a lot of factors on being able to stay home.

I'll share first so people don't think I'm just trying to get their info - Our household income is around $90K after taxes, we live in Georgia, and my husband is an executive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• LOL! You are an exception Honey. Where I live, unless your husband is a Dr. or Lawyer, most SAHM are on welfare. It's simply not going to happen. I don't care what they say. I was in a two income family. Husband, myself and two kids- bringing in around 50K, back in 80-90's.... It was just not an option then and I am sure it's not now. The problem with that is, unless your husband is as such aforementioned, these ladies are not contributing anything to the economy... They are not working and thus have no money to spend. That's just sad. If you want to earn things, send your children to a good school, etc.. etc... you have to both work. It's not fair to shove all this crap on the father. Also, SAHM do so because they think they are justifying it. If you can't afford daycare, then why the hell did you have the kids? It's a wasted economical crisis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• somewhere around $63K, SC, electrical engineer
    Anonymous

• Taxable income is about $39K per year...works for Coca-cola...northern Illinois.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'll just say my husband makes more than than, plus my income of $60K and we live in South Florida, and I still can't afford to stay home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• 90k before taxes, software, GA-- we live in an expensive area but have very low debt (mortgage only) so we can do more with less money
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• about $60K, MI, service technician. 4 kids, private education, living VERY comfortably
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• OP Here - I forgot to add the number of kids you have. We currently have 2 kids we are waiting to have more because of our finances, we just want to make sure we can still afford for my husband to save for his retirement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i am a SAHM and i am on no government help. its not that hard for us. we don't live above our means and we still are able to live life. we live modestly. he makes $50,000 a year. and we have about $20000 saved up. we both have paid for cars, no credit card debt (any more), and the only thing that we owe for is our home. we BOTH chose for me to stay home and take care of our child. my daughter goes to preschool also to a private school which we pay for. if you really want something to work there are ways to make it work. but if all you do is reticulepeople for every little thing they do then you don't have time to take care of your own problems. yes if you can't "afford" it try getting a job or rearange your budget. after all your children are YOUR responsibility.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• $30,000 in ND and hubby is a line worker at Global Electric Motors. Family of 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• husband makes about $30grand or less...He is an E4 in the military and we dont have any bills except cell phones,insurance and comcast.We have 2 children and 1 car that's fully paid off...At the moment we are in Maryland. We are not worried about buying a home anytime soon..we are only 22 lol...exploring the world is what we are doing since the children are not in school yet :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2010